Diesel Pro
Diesel Pro, Technician
Experience:  12yrs exp with CAT/Cummins/Dietroit Diesel/EMD engines.Computer Diagnosis Business.ASE Certified.

Throwing codes 222=Brake switch circuit fault and 323=low coolant

Customer Question

I have a 2001 International 4700 DT466E. Throwing codes 222=Brake switch circuit fault and 323=low coolant. Does the Oil/Water light thing where it shuts down after about 30 seconds. Not sure if the 323 is left over from when my water pump failed. How do I troubleshoot the brake switch and where is it located and what is included in this circuit? How do I clear the codes from the ECU? Tried disconnecting battery for one hour and that didn't work. Where is the coolant level sensor? The one that I found is on the side but only rests against the reservoir and not inside. Not sure if this is it or not.

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Diesel Pro replied 7 years ago.

To clear the code you will need to fix the problem, than the code will erase. The brake switch controls the brake lights. It has an air line conection with two electrical wires. They are sometimes located under the dash or console or in the middle of the truck (check with dealer) .Checking the switch is done by jumpint the two wires.The coolant level sensor is located usualy on the side of the water reservoir or on the top side of the radiator.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please press the accept button to process payment.Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for getting back so late. On top of this I also broke my hand yesterday.

Would the brake switch trigger the Oil/Water light? Also, I do not have air brakes.

No, the brake switch would not trigger the oil/water light.

If no air, than it would be a hydraulic line connected to the brake switch.

How did you get these codes? from a shop/dealer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got the code from the onboard diagnostics. We ended up having a mobile mechanic from Dion International come out because time was running out for me and I had to have surgery on my hand. Thanks for your help anyways.