Diesel Service
Diesel Service, Technician
Experience:  25 years experience, on highway tractor trailer
12513122

I have a 89 ford f700 with electric brakes and the wheels are

I have a 89 ford f700 with electric brakes and the wheels are locked, it won't move at all
Hello sandyham, when you say electric brakes do you mean you hear a electric motor running when you turn on the key or step on the brake pedal, and do you have a yellow park brake button on the dash, right side of steering column? Let me know and I'll try and help you out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There is a yellow park brake button on the dash. When you turn on the key an alarm/buzzer sounds and a light comes on the dash that says "electric brake motor".

When you push the yellow brake button the alarm doesn't go off and it seems the right side is hung up. I need to know how to release the brakes.

Thanks.

Hey there, First thing, just chech the oil level of the resovior, it could be a seperate one or shared with power steering system, on the rear axle of the truck there are two spring chambers, one on each side, they are round about 8 inchs long and 6 inchs in diameter and have what looks like a nut in the center at one end, it takes a 3/4 wrench, back that bolt out about 3 to 4 inchs, this releases the spring pressure inside the hydraulic brake pot,WARNING- once you do this you will have no park brake at all! Now its possiable its just low on oil or theres a failure inside the pot itself. This sould get you going, but if you need more info just post back here, I'll be checking in all day today. Hope this helps and have a great day.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi...I tried to back the bolt out and it only came out about 2 inches. It didn't help...still seems like its still stuck on the right side. Alarm still sounds as soon as you turn the key on and doesn't turn off.
Hi there, there will be some resistance when trying to back it out, have you tryed both sides? now there could also be a possiaility that the spring inside this pot is broken and piled up, causing the bolt to stop, but like I said there is some resistance when trying turn it out because we're trying to compress a spring. I would raise the wheel off the ground and do this so you can tell when its free, there is also a chance that somthing inside the wheel is broken as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. Just wanted to let you know it worked. I did what you said and the wheels are now free and moving. I Greatly Appreicate your help! Thanks so much