Tim, Foreman
Experience:  23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry

i have a ISX engine the oil cooler went bad replaced oil cooler

i have a ISX engine the oil cooler went bad replaced oil cooler flushed out system now my oiltemp runs high 250 degrees water temp runs 210 degrees is there something still plugged its in a 2007 peterbilt with 375000 miles on the engine
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JA, my name isXXXXX will try to help... what kind of soap did you use? and how long did you run it with the soap water/ix, when you did the cooler did you change the oil thermostat and water thermostat? , new antifreeze is a 50/ 50 mix?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i never changed either therostats used a liquid launrdy soap and hot water flushed it 5 times where is the the oil therostst located at i'm used to the old n14 engines this is my first ISX
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Hello, Ok well I personally have never used liquid laundry soap. I was always told and have always had good luck with Cascade powder dishwasher soap. And depending on How bad it oiled up I have ran up to a hr, each flush, up to 3 times, then straight water, then to antifreeze.. Liquid laundry soap may not have as much scrubbing power.. .. as far as the oil thermostat, its in the front of the oil cooler housing, behind that plug that faces forward, then a snap ring...

I think I would try to save you coolant and try the Cascade( I was even taught not to use liquid cascade, only powder) And change out the oil thermostat..

You are just a little too warm on the coolant, max is 225

I was looking for some good oil temp specs, but 250 I think is real close to light coming on, I think it comes on at 255.

Last is while its flushing, or even before, I would get a temp gun, and check the water jackets and radiator as its getting warm and then hot, follow the water flow from the pump see were you are heating up, make sure your water pump belt is nice and tight, and not glazed up, so you are getting max water flow, make sure heater valve is open also.. But really the temp gun should narrow it down..Hope this helps

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so the oil thermostat is probably the problem we also did use cascade soap the powder type on the last flush the water is the 50/50 mix the water seems to look pretty clean has the right color to it with very little oil residue in it
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Ok if your sure its clean , well It is a good possibility the oil thermostat, the temp gun will show you hot and cold spots, there too, but it sounds like a good start..