Don
Don, Mechanic
Experience:  35 years experience journeyman mechanic transport truck and trailer including off road equipment
10251524

How to replace steering wheel bearings on ford 601 tractor

how to replace steering wheel bearings on ford 601 tractor
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there my name is don i will try to help you

is it a two orXXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is two wheel drive, three speed ,gas workmaster
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there
thqanks for that information
on the front wheels in the center there is a little round cap about 2 or 3 inches in diameter
it is just pushed in there you can use a screw driver of some locking pliers to remove it inside there will be lots of grease take a rag and ckean off the grease

But first make sure you have the front wheels off the ground and blocked up

you will see a cottor pin in there that is bent over it is going through a nut and possible retainer
you remove the cottor pin anf the little cap that is covering the nut (if it has one)

take an adjustable wrench or socket and remove the nut inbehind the nust there will be a washer remove that gentlely wiggle the wheel the inner bearing will fall out so be prepared to catch it of put something soft for it to land on

pull both sides of the wheel evenly and it should slide off the spindle some times they are stuck a little then wiggile it back and forth and pull at the same time it will come off
all of a sudden so brace your self

you do not need to take the wheel off at all as the whole assemble comes off at the same time

wneh replacing the wheel and hub back on the spindle just do the reverse proceedure
when you are putting the nut back on you must put it tiht nough so that you do not get any play but the wheel must turn freely once that is done make sure you put the cotter pin back inand the dust cap as well
i hope this helps you have a great day
don
Don, Mechanic
Experience: 35 years experience journeyman mechanic transport truck and trailer including off road equipment
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this for the steerwheel bearings or the front wheelbearins it sound like replacing the wheelbearings. thanks
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there sorry you are right
i read it wrong i saw wheel bearings and that was my reply

for the steering wheel bearings it is a little harder

you will have to take the steering wheel right off

you will need a steering wheel puller you can get this from napa
once you remove the center cap there will be a nut in there you will have to remove the nut and there should be two threaded holes in the plate there you attach the steering wheel puller and pullthe steering wheel off underneath that there will be another plate with screws you will also have to remve that one if memory serves me there will be a snap ring there that holds the upper bearing in place you also may have to remove the center shaft and pull the colomb right out if your lucky you can jst pop them out with out having to go through the whole process

however it has been years since i have done this
so i will opt out and let another expert help you

i just want to make sure you get the proper information
don