Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

Adjusting..the lucas girling drum brakes on the rear..freightliner

Adjusting the lucas girling drum brakes on the rear of a freightliner fl60. Which way do i turn the adjusters to back them off and put the drum on?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.
Hi I'm Wayne
I'll help you with this.

Are you trying to adjust thru the slot in backing plate,

Please let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No i have the brakes apart. I am installing new shoes and a new drum and the adjustment is out too far to allow the new drum to slide on. I have turned the adjusters clockwise a bunch and still seem to not be getting enough clearance.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.
Hi suttonhaulng,
Are you turning the nut on the back of the canister, or are you turning the Start wheel ?

Thannks, Wayne
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The star wheels. Will turning the nut on the air brake canister also back them off? The parking brakes are off.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

turning the start wheel toward the axle will back off the brakes. and yes turning the nut on the back of canister will back them off also,
However are you sure you have the correct parts ?? Not over sized shoes with standard drums ??

Thanks, Wayne
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.
Hi sutton hauling,

I have not heard back from you.

if Happy with this answer, please hit Accept, if not get back to me.

Thanks, Wayne Cool
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
On the back of the air parking brake canister there is a nut do I tighten that or loosen it to take more pressure of the shoes. We still can not get the drum on and I have verified all part numbers
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer
you would turn this clock wise, ( yes Tighten) that cages the brake chamber and relieves pressure from shoe.

If this helped you please hit Accept, if not get back to me.Cool