Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

C15: injector of CATERPILLAR model..cylinder head..piston..slave

Please show me how to setting up injector of CATERPILLAR model 3406E/C15 into cylinder head also adjusting valve clearance,jacob brake piston slave?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Welcome back to JA, i am Buddy and i will try and help you out. To set the injectors you will need tool 9U-7227.Also you have to row then engine over with a ratchet or barring tool and pin the flywheel on right side of flywheel housing with 3/8 bolt.

• The inlet and exhaust valves for the No. 1 cylinder are fully closed if the No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke and the rocker arms can be moved by hand. If the rocker arms can not be moved and the valves are slightly open the No. 1 piston is on the exhaust stroke.This is very crucial to know where to begin at.
  • Here is picture where u put it on injector. graphic

This is procedure you set injectors.

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:

1. Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".
    1. Injector height gauge (4) is used in order to obtain a dimension of 78.0 ± 0.2 mm (3.07 ± 0.01 inch). The dimension is measured from the top of the unit injector to the machined ledge of the fuel injector body.
    1. Turn unit injector adjusting screw (2) clockwise until the correct height is obtained.
    1. Hold the adjusting screw in this position and tighten locknut (3) to a torque of 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 lb ft).
    1. To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. The direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise, as the engine is viewed from the flywheel end. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.
    1. Repeat Steps 3 through 4.
    1. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the valve mechanism cover.

Here is procedure for setting valves

Valve Lash
    Valves Gauge Dimension
    Inlet
    0.38 mm (0.015 inch)
    Exhaust
    0.76 mm (0.030 inch)

Adjust the valve lash while the engine is stopped. Use the following procedure in order to adjust the valves:

1. Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position.

Note: If the engine is equipped with an engine compression brake, loosen the adjusting screw for the lash on the slave piston for the compression brake prior to adjusting the engine valve lash. Refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Slave Piston Lash - Adjust" topic in order to adjust the slave piston lash.

Note: See Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for the No. 1 Piston" for further details.

1. With No. 1 piston at the top center position of the compression stroke, an adjustment can be made to the valves.

Before any adjustments are made, lightly tap each rocker arm at the top of the adjustment screw. Use a soft mallet to ensure that the lifter roller seats against the camshaft's base circle.

1. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the inlet valves for cylinders 1, 2, and 4.
      1. Loosen valve adjustment locknut (3) .
      1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge (5) between the inlet rocker arm and the inlet valve bridge. Turn inlet adjustment screw (4) while valve adjustment locknut (3) is being held from turning. Adjust the valve lash until the correct specification is achieved. Refer to Table 2.
      1. After each adjustment, tighten valve adjustment locknut (3) while valve adjustment screw (4) is being held from turning. Tighten to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft). Recheck each adjustment.
    1. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the exhaust valves for cylinders 1, 3, and 5.
      1. Loosen valve adjustment locknut (1) .
      1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge (5) between the exhaust rocker arm and the exhaust valve bridge. Turn exhaust adjustment screw (2) while valve adjustment locknut (1) is being held from turning. Adjust the valve lash until the correct specification is achieved. Refer to Table 2.
      1. After each adjustment, tighten valve adjustment locknut (1) while valve adjustment screw (2) is being held from turning. Tighten to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft). Recheck each adjustment.
    1. Remove the timing bolt, and turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. This will position the No. 6 piston at the top center on the compression stroke. Install the timing bolt in the flywheel.
    1. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the inlet valves 3, 5, and 6.
    1. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the exhaust valves 2, 4, and 6.
      1. After each adjustment, tighten valve adjustment locknut (1) while valve adjustment screw (2) is being held from turning. Tighten to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft). Recheck each adjustment
      Here is what jakes set to.Set your jakes after you set your exhaust valves. Set the jakes on the same ones you set the exhaust on.Roll engine 360 and set the other 3.
      Slave Piston Lash Setting
      Jake Brake Compression Brakes
      Serial Number Prefix and Model Number (1) Horsepower Rating Slave Piston Lash Setting
      2WS1-UP
      Jake Brake 340B
      410 hp or less 0.94 ± 0.08 mm (0.037 ± 0.003 inch)
      435-550 hp
      0.84 ± 0.08 mm (0.033 ± 0.003 inch)
      2WS1-UP
      Jake Brake 340C
      410 hp or less
      0.94 ± 0.08 mm (0.037 ± 0.003 inch)
      435-550 hp
      0.84 ± 0.08 mm (0.033 ± 0.003 inch)
      6NZ1-UP
      Jake Brake 340C
      410 hp or less
      0.94 ± 0.08 mm (0.037 ± 0.003 inch)
      435 hp or more
      0.84 ± 0.08 mm (0.033 ± 0.003 inch)
      375/435 hp Multitorque rating
      0.84 ± 0.08 mm (0.033 ± 0.003 inch)
      1MM1-UP
      7CZ1-UP
      5DS1-UP
      Jake Brake 340C
      All ratings
      0.94 ± 0.08 mm (0.037 ± 0.003 inch)
      1LW1-UP
      Jake Brake 340C
      410 hp or less
      0.84 ± 0.08 mm (0.033 ± 0.003 inch)
      435 hp or more
      0.68 ± 0.08 mm (0.027 ± 0.003 inch)
      5EK1-UP (2)
      6TS1-UP
      Jake Brake 340A
      410 hp or less
      0.68 ± 0.08 mm (0.027 ± 0.003 inch)
      435 hp or more
      0.76 ± 0.08 mm (0.030 ± 0.003 inch)
      5EK1-UP (2)
      Jake Brake 340
      435 hp or more
      0.68 ± 0.08 mm (0.027 ± 0.003 inch)
      1LW1-UP
      6NZ1-UP
      7CZ1-UP
      Jake Brake 340D
      All ratings
      0.64 ± 0.08 mm (0.025 ± 0.003 inch)
      CJP1-UP
      MDP1-UP
      MEP1-UP
      W1A1-UP
      Jake Brake 340C
      All ratings
      1.02 ± 0.08 mm (0.040 ± 0.003 inch)
      MBN1-UP
      Jake Brake 340D
      All ratings
      0.76 ± 0.08 mm (0.030 ± 0.003 inch)
      BXS1-UP
      Jake Brake 340C
      All ratings
      0.89 ± 0.08 mm (0.035 ± 0.003 inch)
      BXS1-UP
      Jake Brake 340E
      All ratings
      0.84 ± 0.08 mm (0.033 ± 0.003 inch)

If you need anymore help , just ask. Thanks again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Dear BUDDY,
    Thanks so much for your information.We've met again (I asked you N3 injector before )I'm so happy with your help.Now I have a quetion about setting up injector CAT C15/3406E.Could I set up injector and valve clearance at the same time ? or I have to follow your guide step: setting up injectors finished first and valve clearance next ?
    With the CAT C15 2007 and up Is there any different for setting up injector and valve?
    Thanks again and I've never forgetted your help
    BFS
    Expert:  Buddy replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks for the reply.I thought your user name sounded famiilar.Glad to help you again.You can set injectors and valves at same time and jakes and then roll the engine over and do the other half. C15 and up all set this way. The jake settings vary on all of them tho.On some of the new C15s, they have intake actuators, that is a extra setting you would have to set. If you have anymore questions, just ask. Thanks
    Buddy, Technician
    Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years