mike
mike, Technician
Experience:  certified master tech 20+ years combines, row crop, and four wheel drive

I have a 2005 model 6320 John Deere tractor. Great tractor

Customer Question

I have a 2005 model 6320 John Deere tractor. Great tractor but I recently started having problems with the engine cutting out, barely running. It starts & runs great for a few minutes before it starts cutting out. I have changed fuel filters(2) & also have drained water from the new filters a few times & also drained some of the fuel from the tank. I feel that I have the water out of my fuel system but at times when my engine is missing my information light does come on showing that the sensor is detecting water. We have changed all fuel lines to make sure that there wasn't an air leak. After tractor runs for awhile it usually stops missing after I turn off engine and restart the engine. I'm a commercial hay baler and this is really causing us problems right now because we really need this tractor. A friend said that it sounds like I have a fuel injection pump problem and it is very expensive to have fixed. Can you help me. Tractor has 2150 hours on it.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  JBfixer replied 5 years ago.
Hello Karl, first thing I would like you to check is this... On the rear of the injection pump is a fuel shutoff solenoid(the solenoid threads directly into the top rear of the injection pump), there will be one wire coming out of this, check this wire for voltage when the engine starts acting up.
Expert:  JBfixer replied 5 years ago.
Also, I would like to go to your operator's manual and as per the 500 hour service, check/clean the cab ground as well as the engine ground. Lastly, what trouble code(s) have you seen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We will also check the trouble codes for you and check the cab and engine ground. Please give us a day or two to get this done.
Expert:  JBfixer replied 5 years ago.
I'll be here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How many volts should I have and do we test with the wire pluged in or unplugged. Please give us some time to get this done. Your response to our problem is appreciated.

Expert:  JBfixer replied 5 years ago.

You should have battery voltage at the fuel shutoff solenoid, wire on or off not important(removing the wire will de-activate the solenoid)

Also, check over all the fuel lines you have changed and be sure the connections are tight
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On the fuel shutoff solenoid, there is two wires. One Green and One Yellow. Which one should I be testing? Also do I test with the tractor running? Can I unplug the connector to test or should I leave it hooked up and just break the insulation on the wire to test for voltage?

As for the error codes on the diagnostic system, I have an ECU 1076.01 (1) occurance, BIF 168.18 (5) occurance, BIF 167.18 (2) occurance BIF 167.17 (2) occurance?

I also cleared all the codes and restarted the tractor. It started cutting out like before and I ran it for about 3 minutes. Shut it off and reviewed the codes again. I had no new error codes.

I tested the voltage at the battery while the tractor is running and I am getting a reading of 14.01.

As for the cab ground, I looked in the book under 500 hour service and did not found anything about a cab ground. Where would this be located on the tractor? The engine ground was good.

Expert:  JBfixer replied 5 years ago.
Hello Karl, These codes are deeper than the ones I have access to, I'm passing you over to another expert, he should be with you shortly
Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X can help. We will start with your codes first.

ecu1076.01 this is an injection pump control valve closure to short

bif168.18 system voltage to low at 1500 rpm

bif167.18 this is low voltage on your alt.

bif167.17 this is a low voltage at alt also

The code we need to look at is the ecu code. There is a dtac soultion for tractors that use a stanadyne de10 injection pump. This solution will require your local dealer hooking into you tractor and checking the valve closure of your injection pump.

the solution number is XXXXX

They will be checking the injection pump with this code. I have replaced a few of these pumps with this code. The symptoms were like yours , sometimes it would miss sometimes it would not.

There is also a problem with the wiring on these tractors from the injection pump to the ecu. We have had to replace these wires, dtac says they are not heavy enough to carry the load. They may need to open a case on your tractor to view the solution.

I talked to dtac a few months back on a 6320 problem like yours. There are a few items they want changed and they also want a report back on these cases.

as far as the bif codes they will only set a code if your engine is above 1500 rpms and system voltage is 12 or below. This could be an alt. problem since you have 5 counts on the code.

Also I have had to drain the fuel tank on one or two machines to remove the water that was in the tank. The de10 pump doesn't like water so if you end up having your pump changed I would also mention having your tank cleaned. I replaced this pump on one customer twice. He had a problem with his supply tank.

I hope this helps

mike

mike, Technician
Experience: certified master tech 20+ years combines, row crop, and four wheel drive
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike, Thanks for your help! We have a mechanic changing the pump soon. He agreed with you. He thought you were right on about the pump.

Expert:  mike replied 4 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX great day

mike