Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

how to set c-15 cat 475hp single turbo camshaft position

Customer Question

how to set c-15 cat 475hp single turbo camshaft position ?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy , and i will try and help you out. When did truck first start acting up?What is some more symtoms of problems you are having. Also what color is smoke ? is check engine light coming on. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I will accept thank you very much for hellping me.
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
No need to accept answer till i help you out. I have not done anything yet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if you can send pic front gears and marks on them it will help me a lot. Thanks
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I am working on trying to find a good picture. I will try and post a couple. Here is how you set cam gear. You pin flywheel. Then install cam gear with timing mark at top. Line it up with mark on your front cover housing. Sometimes it looks like it is inbetween two gears. If it is like that you usually can try and take gear lash out to get it more centered. I will post some more pics. If you have anymore questions, just ask. Thanksgraphic

Note: Camshaft timing is critical. The timing mark on the camshaft gear must be aligned with the timing mark on the front cover when the No. 1 piston is at the top center of the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Gear Group (Front) - Time".

• Verify that the timing mark on camshaft gear (1) is aligned with Timing Mark (X) on front housing (3) .

Note: If the timing marks are not aligned, remove camshaft gear (1) and rotate the camshaft until the timing marks are aligned.

• Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Yes please post more pic with idle gear marks. Thanks
    Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.

graphic

• Position cluster gear (16) on shaft (21). Ensure that timing marks (V) are aligned on cluster gear and the crankshaft gear. Apply Tooling (B) to bolts (17). Install plate (18) and bolts (17). If bolts (17) are 3/8 inch bolts then tighten bolts (17) to a torque of 55 ± 10 N·m (41 ± 7 lb ft). If bolts (17) are 5/16 inch bolts then tighten bolts (17) to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft).
  •  

graphic

• Position idler gear (11) on shaft (20). Apply Tooling (B) to bolts (12). Install plate (13) with the oil groove toward the gear face. Install bolts (12). If bolts (12) are 3/8 inch bolts then tighten bolts (12) to a torque of 55 ± 10 N·m (41 ± 7 lb ft). If bolts (12) are 5/16 inch bolts then tighten bolts (12) to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft).
  •  

graphic

Note: Skip Step 8 if shaft assembly (19) has been removed, loosened, or moved in any way. The backlash for the camshaft gear and the adjustable idler gear will need to be readjusted. The camshaft gear must be installed and the adjustable idler gear must be removed in order to perform the backlash adjustment procedure. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Gear Group (Front) - Time".

• Position adjustable idler gear (8) on shaft (19). Apply Tooling (B) to bolts (9). Install plate (10) and bolts (9). If bolts (9) are 3/8 inch bolts then tighten bolts (9) to a torque of 55 ± 10 N·m (41 ± 7 lb ft). If bolts (9) are 5/16 inch bolts then tighten bolts (9) to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft).
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    very helpful info Thank you very much.
    Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
    You are welcome. If you ever need anything else. Just come back. Thanks again.