Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years

What does high sodium in an oil analysis indicate Motor has

Customer Question

What does high sodium in an oil analysis indicate? Motor has been sitting for at least a month.
Also, is 12" blowby serious?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy and i will try and help you out. Here is specs on blowby. Blowby (maximum at advertised or torque peak rpm) with 9-mm [0.354-in] orifice
New or rebuilt engines (maximum) less than 100,000 miles....................305 mm H2O [12.0 in H2O]
Used Engine (maximum) greater than 100,000 miles....................457 mm H2O [18.0 in H2O] Also high sodium in oil usually indicates coolant leak somewhere. But no glycol detected is a good thing.I would be looking for anaylsis over 2 or 3 oil changes, something that you are noticing that is consistant. If you have anymore questions just ask. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If after I buy the truck and still see hi sodium 2 oil analyses later. then would it indicate the hi sodium coming from motor oil brand?
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for accept. Here is something i found from another site. Hope this helps you out. Antifreeze-Every sample is checked for Antifreeze contamination. One of the items that we check on the Report is sodium. Small traces of Antifreeze may get by the standard antifreeze test, but if you have a small coolant leak the sodium (a key ingredient) in antifreeze will go up. One of the advantages of tracking oil analysis is being able to detect problems at the beginning, before engine damage occurs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are their typical problems that cause antifreeze/coolant to leak into the engine oil?
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
Hi there again.Coolant in oil can be several things. Liner oring leaking. Liner cracked. Head cracked. If you do buy truck, i would do a couple oil samples to see if it returns.If it does return and gets worse, the only way to find is to pull oil pan and pressure cooling system and look for leaks.If you have anymore questions, just ask. Have a nice day.