Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

What will cause a push rod to bend

Customer Question

what will cause a push rod to bend
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer Welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out. Did you replace same 2 pushrods? Did you adjust the valves after you replaced push rod? Usually what bends push rod is valve to piston contact. Can be valve adjuster set to tight. Can be bent valve or cam follower bad or camshaft itself bad.If you reply back, let me get your engine serial number also.Thanks. Also i dont think missing one oil change would cause this issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Buddy,
The same two bent again, will a jumped timing do this also? can this all be checked by taking the valve covers off and the pan? I feel you do not need the head off to do this checking, do I?
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
Being the same push rod on same cylinder , i would not think it jumped time.I dont know which version isb you have. If it is common rail fuel system,let me know first.If you have serial number would be even better. First thing i would do is pull injector and take air blower and try to seal off and blow down in cylinder and see if i can hear air leaking past valves. If you can, the head will have to come off to repair.Anymore questions just ask. Thanks
Expert:  Buddy replied 7 years ago.
HeyCustomer I am replying back to your question here, so it wont cost you anymore. In my opinion i would not think missing one oil change would cause this issue. Would have to know the cause of bent push rod to know for sure. Thanks again for accept.