Tim
Tim, Foreman
Experience:  23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry
16986108

OPERATING TEMP FOR 2001 3406 (475) UNDER LOAD..OUTSIDE TEMP OF 100 deg

OPERATING TEMP FOR 2001 3406 (475) UNDER LOAD OF 44000 LBS.....ALSO PYROMETR TEMP IN OUTSIDE TEMP OF 100 DEG
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to JA, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will try to help.. 200-220 on a 100 degree day going up hill doesnt seem to bad. especially if the a/c is pumping to. 260 how ever is getting hot, your pyrometer reading should be running any were from(NNN) NNN-NNNNdegrees.. as far as getting the cooling system temp down , could be as easy as the radiator dirty or covered in dust, may need to blow out the air cooler the radiator and even the condensor, if they are dirty the air cooler will raise the pyrometer also.. If they are clean then pressure check the cooling system and the cap it self.. check condition of the coolant, if it is not kept up on its conditioners, the radiator may have partial internal plugging also.. it may have a thermostat not fully opening.. your temps dont sound real bad so it should be fairly simple to get them down. As far as the pyrometer if its high like I said it could be from the above also pyro temps are normaly elevated from lack of air to the engine.. IE: air cleaner, restricted air piping, air cooler leak, even valve adjustments.. all these things can also help raise the operating temp. Hope this helps some.. let me know what you find

Tim

Tim, Foreman
Experience: 23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry