Jason
Jason, Technician
Experience:  ASE master cert, Adv. diag, factory , CAT ,Cummins, Detroit, MBE, Allison, IHC 13 yrs exp
11715025

IT IS A 8.3 CUMMINGS DIESEL 330 HP. IN A 2001 COUNTRY

IT IS A 8.3 CUMMINGS DIESEL    330 HP.      IN A 2001 COUNTRY COACH MOTORHOME.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Hi, I will try and assist you with this, however your question did not come through clear, are you overheating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES IT IS OVERHEATING UNDER LOAD GOING UP INCLINES AND WHEN THE OUTSIDE TEMPS ARE OVER 85 DEGREES. THE TEMP CAN GO UP WHEN THE EXHAUST BRAKE IS ENGAGED, HAVE SOME SUCESS RUNNING AT 14 -15 HUNDRED RPM'S IF OUTSIDE TEMP IS NOT TO HOT.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Do you know which type of fan clutch you have on this?? Is the fan kicking in that you can tell? Thanks Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE CLUTCH FAN IS DISCONNECTED. RUNNING FULL RPM AT ALL TIMES. THE ENGINE HAS HAD THE CUMMINGS UPDATE ON SETTING THE TIMMING TO.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Ok, do you have the original exaust system on this unit?
When the unit was serviced was the air filter replaced?
Do you have any damaged exaust or kinked pipes?
Has this unit always ran hot? When did you first notice? Any other work performed besides normal servicing? How many miles on engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE ENGINE HAS 47,438 MILES ON IT. THE AIR FILTER WAS REPLACED LAST WEEK WHEN IT WAS SERVICED. THE INSPECTION DID NOT MENTION ANY PROBLEMES WITH THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. THE EXHAUST SYSTEM IS THE ORIGNAL. I NOTICED THE OVERHEATING ABOUT 17 MONTHS AGO IN FLORIDA ON A FLAT TERAIN. DISCONNECTING THE FAN HELPED BUT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. THE ENGINE HAS BEEN SERVICED TWICE SINCE I NOTICED THE PROBLEM.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
It may be a possibility of an internal muffler/exaust restriction of some sort..a tech would have to check it with a gauge. However lets make sure we have all the bases covered..If your cooling system has never been flushed or cleaned internally you should have this done along with new thermostats. I know its low mileage but motorhomes sit for long periods of time and the cooling systems can become sludgy. You may have already done this. I would also hook another known good gauge to your engine to monitor temps. They do not always stay accurate but if its overheating severely and you know it is then that would not help. In some cases I have seen the water pump impeller can slip on the shaft causing insufficient circulation, however this also would have to be checked with pressure gauges..(called block pressure tests) or just replaced. Water pumps are fairly inexpensive for these units. One more question...does your trans temps stay in check? Do you have a gauge for the trans?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES THE TRANSMISSION HAS A GUAGE AND IT STAYS FAIRLY CONSISTENT AT 200-210 DEGREES. I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT REPLACING THE THERMOSTATE WITH A 180 DEGREE THERMOSTATE. THAT WOULD ALSP REGUIRE CHANGING THE COOLANT. COULD HAVE IT FLUSHED AT THE SAME TIME.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Yes, a water pump would not be a bad idea either, I believe they are under 200 bucks and are easy to change (not much labor involved) motor homes do tend to overheat under load on hills, its common because they don't have the air flow coming through them, but if its just on flat terrain and you are not pulling anything heavy (carhauler or big trailer of sorts) it shouldn't get too hot on you. For now, you may want to manually shift your trans to lower gears to keep the rpms higher on grades and such. This will keep the torque converter cooler in the transmission and not transfer as much heat to the radiator and cooling system. It also keeps your engines fan and water pump run faster, cooling fan and more in the "sweet spot" where the peak power of the engine is..its harder on them to lug up a hill than to let the motor do its job at its point where it makes good power. Have the exaust restriction checked..prefferably by a cummins dealer. If the engine does not breath in and out properly this will also cause excessive heat build up in your motor. Oh, and if you added any accessorys to the body of unit that may effect airflow over or under the unit, this may also effect cooling somewhat. I am going to look up some specs for you on this engine if I have the correct book here..give me a few minutes and I will get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Sorry Bill, I do not have the correct book here..I do have specs at work..I can't get there untill Monday afternoon, but regardless if you have your unit at Cummins they will have all of it on hand. They also have the correct compucheck fittings and instruments to check your cooling system and it will probably save you a little money in the long run instead of just throwing parts at it. This way at least you will know if its water pump, thermostat, cooling system scale or deposits, or exaust restriction. I would start with thermostat and flush..the ISM, ISX, and M11 engines I know all have thermostats in the oil coolers also. I am not sure if they are in the ISC engines. These thermostats open at around 225 deg and allow the oil to be cooled. I have not seen a lot of these fail, only 2 I can remember but this also could be a possibility. Thanks Bill..anymore questions I can help you with please ask. Jason
Jason, Technician
Experience: ASE master cert, Adv. diag, factory , CAT ,Cummins, Detroit, MBE, Allison, IHC 13 yrs exp