Tim
Tim, Foreman
Experience:  23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry
16986108

My c12 cat engine for a 1999 freightliner..low oil pressure..gages

my c12 cat engine for a 1999 freightliner keeps warning that i have low oil pressure and my gages indicate the same. i have all ready replaced the oil pump ,sensor, by pass valv, oil base filter pan, buchings are new the crank shaft is good, and yet still the oil pressure is low when i turn it on cool the pressure marked good the psi is on 45 when the temp hits 200 it comes down to 35-40 psi but when i run it and hit about 40-55mph the oil pressure goes down to like 10- 20 psi and the low oil pressure alarm comes on and it stays like that it wont come back up also the check engine light comes on to
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JA , my name isXXXXX will try to help.. It looks as if you have covered all your bases, from your symptoms I would be leaning toward a couple things more so even though they have been checked, worn bearing and bushing clearences. ( especialy if you have only low oil pressure at high idle) I once had a 3508 that was oversped and the Idler bearing clearence was increased and the oil pressure was fine except at high idle, when the clearence would open. your specs at normal oper temp is 40-60 at 1800 rpm and min of 10 psi at idle. the other thoght I had was the possibilty of a pump suction problem from a crack or restriction. It may be worth taking a oil sample and sending it in.. they can tell you if you have metal showing and that could help it narrow down to the worn parts, and fuel or coolant containinant.. here is Cats list of possibilities, hope this helps..

• Engine oil level is low. Refer to Step 1.

• Engine oil is contaminated. Refer to Step 2.

• The engine oil bypass valves are open. Refer to Step 3.

• The engine lubrication system is open. Refer to Step 4.

• The oil pickup tube has a leak or a restricted inlet screen. Refer to Step 5.

• The engine oil pump is faulty. Refer to Step 6.

• Engine Bearings have excessive clearance. Refer to Step 7.

1. Check the engine oil level in the crankcase. The oil level can possibly be too far below the oil pump supply tube. This will cause the oil pump not to have the ability to supply enough lubrication to the engine components. If the engine oil level is low add engine oil in order to obtain the correct engine oil level. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Refill Capacities and Recommendations" for the recommendations of engine oil.

2 Engine oil that is contaminated with fuel or coolant will cause low engine oil pressure. High engine oil level in the crankcase can be an indication of contamination. Determine the reason for contamination of the engine oil and make the necessary repairs. Replace the engine oil with the approved grade of engine oil. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Refill Capacities and Recommendations" for the recommendations of engine oil.

3

If the engine oil bypass valves are held in the open position, a reduction in the oil pressure can be the result. This may be due to debris in the engine oil. If the engine oil bypass valves are stuck in the open position, remove each engine oil bypass valve and clean each bypass valve in order to correct this problem. You must also clean each bypass valve bore. Install new engine oil filters. New engine oil filters will prevent more debris from causing this problem. For information on the repair of the engine oil bypass valves, refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Filter Base - Disassemble".

4

An oil line or an oil passage that is open, broken, or disconnected will cause low engine oil pressure. An open lubrication system could be caused by a piston cooling jet that is missing or damaged. Determine the reason for an open lubrication system of the engine and make the necessary repairs.

Note: The piston cooling jets direct engine oil toward the bottom of the piston in order to cool the piston. This also provides lubrication for the piston pin. Breakage, a restriction or incorrect installation of the piston cooling jets will cause seizure of the piston.

5

The inlet screen of the oil pickup tube for the engine oil pump can have a restriction. This restriction will cause cavitation and a loss of engine oil pressure. Check the inlet screen on the oil pickup tube and remove any material that may be restricting engine oil flow. Low engine oil pressure may also be the result of the oil pickup tube that is drawing in air. Check the joints of the oil pickup tube for cracks or a damaged O-ring seal. Remove the engine oil pan in order to gain access to the oil pickup tube and the oil screen. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pan - Remove and Install" for more information.

6

Check the following problems that may occur to the engine oil pump.

Air leakage in the supply side of the oil pump will also cause cavitation and loss of oil pressure. Check the supply side of the oil pump and make necessary repairs. For information on the repair of the engine oil pump, refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pump - Remove".

Oil pump gears that have too much wear will cause a reduction in oil pressure. Repair the engine oil pump. For information on the repair of the engine oil pump, refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pump - Remove".

7

Excessive clearance at engine bearings will cause low engine oil pressure. Check the engine components that have excessive bearing clearance and make the necessary repairs.

Thank you,

tim

Tim, Foreman
Experience: 23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry