Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  25 years experience
19040450

I have engine codes in my volvo, truck runs perfect, no power

Customer Question

I have engine codes in my volvo, truck runs perfect, no power loss, code MID 128 SID 146 FM 17
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to JA, My name isXXXXX will try to help.. Some reason I am having a problem narrowing down the code 128 or 146 .. Can you give me the engine ser# XXXXX i will try some more.. Is the check engine light staying on and how did you get these codes?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ISX 475, ESN 79086191
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Well I confirmed i am not able to come up with anything for those # I have a 123 then it skips to 131 .. then a 145 athen it skips to a 151 .. this is straight off the cummins site for your ser# .. I did a search on the site and 128 came up as boost senor high voltage.. but didnt meantion a isx.. and there is a code for that anyways

146 came up as a coolant temp sensor.. but again didnt list a ISX

I will relist the question for you, maybe someone else has a Idea, sounds like a general ECM code with no meaning.. but I cant confirm

Thank you,

someone should be with you soon

Tim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

THX Tim!

Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Your welcome sorry couldnt help.. take care

Expert:  Buddy replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. MID 128 just means it is a engine code. The code it is coding is for egr valve. Hope this helps. Need any more info just ask . Thanks
Fault Code: 2357
PID: S146
SPN: 2791
FMI: 7/7
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

EGR Valve Control - Mechanical System not Responding Properly or Out of Adjustment. EGR valve not responding or slow to respond.

Possible low power. Power will be removed from the EGR valve motor.

Possible causes of this fault include:

• Damaged EGR valve position sensor, mechanical or electrical damage.
  • EGR valve assembly damage requiring a high current to operate the valve, such as a stuck or sticking valve.

The ECM monitors the response of the EGR valve and logs a fault code if the valve fails to respond as commanded. When the ECM stops commanding the valve, the fault code will go inactive; therefore, this fault code tree must be used to troubleshoot active and inactive faults.

This also means the only sufficient way to make certain the repair is complete is to run the INSITETM electronic service tool EGR valve test. Operating the engine is not adequate to verify the correct component was repaired or replaced.