Tim
Tim, Foreman
Experience:  23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry

hello, I need to adjust valves for a C18 cat diesel engine

Customer Question

hello,
I need to adjust valves for a C18 cat diesel engine ... I also would like to know the tools required for the C18 cat engines valve adjustment Also,..I need some instuctions to walk me through the valve adjustmet procedures . Thanks.Customer
P.S. will i need to use laptop after any adjustment to valves.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Welcome to JA, My name isXXXXX will try to help. Couple questions for you, does it have a compression brake, and do you want the injector adjustment also? Please give me your Engine ser # XXXXX I can get you the information..

Thank you,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey tim can i get that informaion to you tomarro morning, i'm not a my job to get for you right now sorry about that.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Im sorry, I just noticed it said d9 dozer only 1 prefix they put in machines.. so I can get it , did you want the injector adjustment too?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey Tim .. yea sure i can use all the info to get job done if needed , hey Tim i am leaving now to pick wife at air port I'll be back in 2 hrs sorry, thanks for you patients
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Ok here is the procedure..

to find TOP DEAD CENTER

Table 1
Needed Tools
9S-9082 Engine Turning Tool 1

The No. 1 piston at top center (TC) on the compression stroke is the starting point of all timing procedures.

Note: Some engines have two threaded holes in the flywheel. These holes are in alignment with the holes with plugs in the left and right front of the flywheel housing. The two holes in the flywheel are at a different distance from the center of the flywheel so the timing bolt cannot be put in the wrong hole.

graphic

graphic

1. Timing bolt (1) is a cover bolt. The timing bolt can be installed in either the left side of the engine at location (2) or in the right side of the engine at timing bolt location (4) . Remove both bolts (1) and cover (3) from the flywheel housing. Remove the plug from the timing hole in the flywheel housing.
  1. Put timing bolt (1) (long bolt that holds the cover on the flywheel housing) through the timing hole in the flywheel housing. The 9S-9082 Engine Turning Tool and a 1/2 inch drive ratchet wrench are used in order to turn the engine flywheel in the direction of normal engine rotation. Normal engine rotation is counterclockwise. Normal engine rotation is viewed from the flywheel end of the engine. Turn the engine flywheel until the timing bolt engages with the threaded hole in the flywheel.

graphic

Note: If the flywheel is turned beyond the point of engagement, the flywheel must be turned in the opposite direction of normal engine rotation approximately 45 degrees. Then turn the flywheel in the direction of normal rotation until the timing bolt engages with the threaded hole. The procedure will eliminate the backlash that will occur when the No. 1 piston is put on the top center.

1. Remove the front valve mechanism cover from the engine.
  1. The inlet and exhaust valves for the No. 1 cylinder are fully closed if the No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke and the rocker arms can be moved by hand. If the rocker arms can not be moved and the valves are slightly open the No. 1 piston is on the exhaust stroke.

Note: After the actual stroke position is identified, and the other stroke position is needed, remove the timing bolt from the flywheel. The flywheel is turned 360 degrees in a counterclockwise direction. The timing bolt is reinstalled.

valves

An adjustment is not necessary if the measurement of the valve lash is in the acceptable range in Table 1.

Table 1
Inlet Valves Exhaust Valves
Valve Lash (Stopped Engine)
0.38 ± 0.08 mm
(0.015 ± 0.003 inch)

0.76 ± 0.08 mm
(0.030 ± 0.003 inch)
TC Compression Stroke 1-2-4 1-3-5
TC Exhaust Stroke (1) 3-5-6 2-4-6
Firing Order 1-5-3-6-2-4 (2)
( 1 ) 360° from TC compression stroke
( 2 ) The No. 1 cylinder is at the front of the engine.

If the measurement is not within this range, an adjustment is necessary. Refer to "Valve Lash Adjustment" for the proper procedure.

Use the following procedure to adjust the valve lash:

graphic

a= exhaust

b= intake

1. Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".

Table 2
    TC Compression Stroke Inlet Valves Exhaust Valves
    Valve Lash
    0.38 ± 0.08 mm
    (0.015 ± 0.003 inch)

0.76 ± 0.08 mm
    (0.030 ± 0.003 inch)
    Cylinders 1-2-4 1-3-5

1. Adjust the valve lash according to Table 2.
    1. Lightly tap the rocker arm with a soft mallet. This will ensure that the lifter roller seats against the camshaft's base circle.
    1. Loosen the adjustment locknut.
    1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge between rocker arm and the valve bridge. Then, turn the adjustment screw in a clockwise direction. Slide the feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve bridge. Continue turning the adjustment screw until a slight drag is felt on the feeler gauge. Remove the feeler gauge.
    1. Tighten the adjustment locknut to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft). Do not allow the adjustment screw to turn while you are tightening the adjustment locknut. Recheck the valve lash after tightening the adjustment locknut.
  1. Remove the timing bolt and turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. This will put the No. 6 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Install the timing bolt in the flywheel.

Table 3
    TC Exhaust Stroke Inlet Valves Exhaust Valves
    Valve Lash
    0.38 ± 0.08 mm
    (0.015 ± 0.003 inch)

0.76 ± 0.08 mm
    (0.030 ± 0.003 inch)
    Cylinders 3-5-6 2-4-6

1. Adjust the valve lash according to Table 3.
    1. Loosen the adjustment locknut.
  1. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all adjustments to the valve lash have been made. Reinstall the timing cover.

Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Unit Injector - Adjust".

Tim

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

OK the top dead center find and the valve adjustment are above and incase you wanted the injector here it is

Table 1
Required Tools
Part Number Part Name Quantity
9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge 1

graphic

(4) 9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:

1. Injector height gauge (4) is used in order to obtain a dimension of 78.0 ± 0.2 mm (3.07 ± 0.01 inch). The dimension is measured from the top of the unit injector to the machined ledge of the fuel injector body.
  1. Turn unit injector adjusting screw (2) clockwise until the correct height is obtained.
  1. Hold the adjusting screw in this position and tighten locknut (3) to a torque of 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 lb ft).
  1. To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. The direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise, as the engine is viewed from the flywheel end. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.
  1. Repeat Steps 3 through 4.
  1. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the valve mechanism cover.

Hope this helps, let me know if that all you need.. Its getting late for me I will be back on early in the AM if you need anything else. Have a great night.

Tim

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, just checking to make sure I gave you all the information you needed, let me know,

Thank you,

Tim