Cat Instructor
Cat Instructor, Technician
Experience:  total 20years Caterpillar Heavy Equipment T/S and Repair. 17Yr Trainer for Caterpillar Dealer.
9635802

valve adjusting sequence and clearance..caterpillar diesel engine

Customer Question

I would like to know the valve adjusting sequence and clearance for a caterpillar diesel engine model # XXXXX serial #42401381
Category: Heavy Equipment
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the valve adjusting sequence
Expert:  Cat Instructor replied 7 years ago.
very sorry, i misread the model #. the information i put in was not correct for a 3024. i am also sorry i cannot answer your question.
Cat Instructor, Technician
Experience: total 20years Caterpillar Heavy Equipment T/S and Repair. 17Yr Trainer for Caterpillar Dealer.
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will try to help, according to my information I need to know is this a 2 cyl , 3 cyl or a 4 cyl engine? so I can get you the sequence

the lash is the same for all of them

The valve lash setting is for a cold engine.

Valve lash setting

Inlet valve ... 0.2 ± 0.05 mm (0.008 ± 0.0020 inch)
Exhaust valve ... 0.2 ± 0.05 mm (0.008 ± 0.0020 inch)

Please let me know

Tim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Tim,thanks for your responce, the engine is a 4 cylender cat model #3024 serial#42401381        &nbs p;                                                  
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Hello, you accepted and paid the wrong guy , ( not your fault ) but I will go a head and post. it for you, so you can do the adjustment, thanks for using JA

graphic

graphic

Note: The "Single dot" (5) on the crankshaft pulley is the reference point for the top center position of No. 1 and No. 4 cylinders. The "Middle dot" (6) on the crankshaft pulley is the top center reference point for No. 2 and No. 3 cylinders.

1. Rotate the crankshaft in a clockwise direction until the inlet valve of the No. 4 cylinder has started to open and the exhaust valve of the No. 4 cylinder has not completely closed.

Ensure that the "Top" mark (3) on the timing case aligns with "Single dot" (5) on the crankshaft pulley.

1. The valve lash of the inlet valve and the exhaust valve of the No. 1 cylinder can now be inspected. If necessary, make an adjustment.
    1. Loosen the valve adjustment screw locknut that is on adjustment screw (2) .
    1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge (1) between the rocker arm and the valve. Turn adjustment screw (2) while the valve adjustment screw locknut is being held from turning.
    1. Adjust the valve lash until the correct setting is achieved.
    1. After each adjustment, tighten the valve adjustment screw locknut while adjustment screw (2) is being held from turning.
  1. Rotate the crankshaft by 180 degrees in a clockwise direction until the inlet valve of the No. 2 cylinder has started to open and the exhaust valve of the No. 2 cylinder has nearly closed.

Ensure that the "Top" mark (3) on the timing case aligns with "Middle dot" (6) on the crankshaft pulley.

1. The valve lash of the inlet valve and the exhaust valve of the No. 3 cylinder can now be inspected. If necessary, make an adjustment.

In order to adjust the valve lash, repeat Step 2.a through Step 2.d.

1. Rotate the crankshaft by 180 degrees in a clockwise direction until the inlet valve of the No. 1 cylinder has started to open and the exhaust valve of the No. 1 cylinder has not completely closed.

1. The valve lash of the inlet valve and the exhaust valve of the No. 4 cylinder can now be inspected. If necessary, make an adjustment.

1. Rotate the crankshaft by 180 degrees in a clockwise direction until the inlet valve of the No. 3 cylinder has started to open and the exhaust valve of the No. 3 cylinder has not completely closed.

1. The valve lash of the inlet valve and the exhaust valve of the No. 2 cylinder can now be inspected. If necessary, make an adjustment.

Tim