catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

How do you set injectors on a 3126 cat enjin

Customer Question

how do you set injectors on a 3126 cat enjin
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will try to help. the injectors should be electrical, no adjustment.. there are a lot of 3126 ser number prefixes.. please give me your ser# XXXXX I can confirm. should be just install then set the valves..

Thank you,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The serial#1ZJ03306 Arrangement#1783024
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, thank you for that.. marine or gen application.. they are adjustable it takes a special tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN the adjustment procedure comes with the tool.. I am not able to pull up that prcedure media.. this is what it says for me

Refer to Table 1 for the components of the 128-8822 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group that are required to check or adjust the unit injector.

Table 1
Tools Needed
Part Number Description QTY
9U-5120 Spanner Wrench 1
1U-8869 Dial Indicator (Digital) 1
9U-7282 Indicator Fixture Group 1
9U-6272 Nylon Screw 1
130-2711 Holding Tool 1
136-4149 Governor Pliers 1
1U-7299 Rack Adjusting Wrench 1
1U-7300 Hex Wrench 1
1U-6673 Wrench 1
128-8827 Pin 1

Refer to Tool Operating Manual, NEHS0610 for instructions on checking or adjusting the unit injector.

Note: The Tool Operating Manual, NEHS0610 is included with the 128-8822 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group .

The 128-8822 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group replaces the former 9U-7305 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group and the former 1U-6680 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group. The new tools are available individually in order to update the former groups at a considerable cost savings. The new tools offer the advantage of tooling that is simplified in order to provide more accurate adjustments in less time. Refer to Table 2 in order to update the former tool groups with the new tools that are required to complete the checking or adjustment procedures for the unit injector.

Table 2
Tools That Are Required To Update Former Tool Groups
Part Number Description QTY
128-8827 (1) Pin 1
1U-8869 (2) Dial Indicator (Digital) 1
130-2711 (3) Fuel Setting Holding Tool 1
1U-7299 (1) Rack Adjusting Wrench 1
1U-7300 (1) Hex Wrench 1
128-8828 (1) Foam Insert Group 1
NEEG2688 (1) Decal 1
NEHS0610 (1) Tool Operating Manual 1
( 1 ) Required for the 9U-7305 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group and for the 1U-6680 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group
( 2 ) Required for the 1U-6680 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group
( 3 ) Required for the 9U-7305 Fuel System and Governor Tool Group

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim i am in Antigua in the Caribean i have no acces to that tool down here and i need to have this motor going ASAP sohow can you help me out ?

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, are you asking me how you can get the tool or how to do with out it??I will see if I can find out some more info.. I have a couple people I can ask, to see if it can bee done with out it..

i will let you know.

Tim

Expert:  catmastertech replied 5 years ago.
Tim is referring to the tooling to make sure you set the engine for the best performance. Without the tooling and instructions I have a difficult job to even get one to start.
If you must try, all the injectors must be in synchronization with each other. When one is out by just 0.1mm your engine will have a fuel knock or a dead misfire one each cylinder that is out of sync. The timing height of the injectors can be out by 0.25mm before you will have an noticeable problem, rough running or misfire is common. If it is too tight and the plunger bottoms in the injector, you have destroyed an injector.
The timing dimension is shown on the metal tag glued to the valve cover. It will be a number greater than 62.00mm. This is the measurement from the top of the injector to the seat of the spring and is done when the rocker arm is not compressing the injector. Bar the engine over until no movement is seen on the rocker.
Synchronizing the rack is the hardest job but, every thing is synced to #1 you can try to set all the rack screws to a slight touch in the fuel off position and light be close enough to start the engine. The special tooling can adjust screws while engine is running but it can get damaged by working so close to the rockers.
These are basic settings and engine most likely will not perform correctly.
This engine is a strong and efficient power plant when set right, I think it is critical to have the right tooling to service this engine and recommend purchasing it a soon as possible.