John, Technician
Experience:  20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
14415333

I need to remove the steering wheel on a John Deere 4455.

I need to remove the steering wheel on a John Deere 4455. I have the center cover off and the adjustment knob removed, what is the next Step?
Hi

There is a big nut I think it takes 1 1/8 wrench to remove it. After the nut is off and the special star washer, you will find 2 threaded holes on either side of the shaft. You need a puller that has a shaft in the center with slots to put bolts through into the threaded holes. They actually call them " steering wheel pullers" As you tighten the center bolt it will build up pressure and then come with a "pop". The shaft is tapered.

If this gets you going please click accept. If you need more info hit reply.

Thanks John
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you show me a photo of the puller that I would use in this application? Can I fabricate my own with flat steel and a nut welded to the center? what do you do about the adjusment rod the runs thru the center of the shaft
Hi

Yes you can make a puller. I would make the center bolt 1/2 inch.

You can telescope the steering and the rod will be down in the hole.

Thanks John

I am not techy enough to get something uploaded.