Tim
Tim, Foreman
Experience:  23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry
16986108

service manual for this bus..different mechanics..compartment

hi i have a 3208 cat bluebird and it caught fire in the rear i am looking for a service manual for this bus or a mechanic in los angeles that can fix it. i have been ripped off to many times by different mechanics and my bus is still sitting. I dint know what parts are missing in the rear compartment. please help me
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX will try to help, If you give me a engine serial number I should be able to come up with a part number for a engine manual, and a engine parts book, As far as a mechanic, local Cat dealer would be my suggestion, I can look up the local dealer for your area, if you like. Please let me Know.

Thank you,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi Tim,

I will have to go to the bus today and get the # XXXXX the manufacture plake . So how do i contact you back. i am currently at home

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Just like you just did.. just reply when you get the info, and if I am not on line i will be soon after..

Thank you,

Talk with you soon..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok thank you

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hi no need to reply til you get the info.. I have to reply to you when you reply to me .. to get a replied to you sighn off the question..just ignore this post..and reply when you get the info..thank you Gina

TIM

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi tim,

see below for the information on my bus

engine# XXXXX

date of manufacture= 7/86

body model = all american (engine in rear)

body service# 159618

chassis service# 962404

chassis serial # 25320

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, thank you for that.. just to be clear are you wanting me to find you a service manual order # XXXXX a local cat service center or walk YOU through how to trouble shoot a no start, situation.. I will be glad to try to help with anyone of them..let me know

Thank you,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim,

all if you can i know the dealers are going to be high. i had it at one before(got rip off paid them about 5,000) and they told me i needed a whole engine. had the bus tolded in to them and the next day when i came back the bus was on and running and after i was not gonna pay them anymore money, they went to the back and started taking parts and put them in a bucket thats still inside my bus.

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Ok so you are saying they had it running and when you refused to pay they shut it off and removed parts and put them in a bucket and made you tow it away?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes they gave me a bill for about 10,500. they told me my engine was bad and they need to bye a new one or have them rebuilt . I asked them how do I need a new engine when there was no burn on the engine it was just smoke(black) on there that came right off. they gave me a long list of what needed to be done to the bus. I told them you said it needed a new engine and the next day here i am (just pop up) and the bus is running. I ask them what is the real problem with the bus and they said its on the list. They told me I can make payment arrangements for the bus? I told them hell no i smell a rat then one of the mechanics told me he will tell me whats wrong but they will fire him and to make matters worst they ask me if I am not going to fix it can they bye the bus. they will give me $1000 for it. I told them no and I had the bus towed back to my yard and it's been here just sitting. They still call me asking can they bye my bus

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Wow!!.. Ok any chance you can lay the parts out and take a picture or two and post them on here for me to see?... another thing.. does it crank over at all? if it does crank, does it crank slow or fast and is there any smoke out of the exhaust pipe at all?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there parts everywhere. there a alternator there . when you spray starting fluid on there and when you crank it from thr inside of the bus or the back its the regular turn over. it dont crank slow or fast. there is smoke that comes out the exhaust pipe but after awhile the smoke stops(i guess because the bus is running) . i will go tomorrow and take a picture of the rear compartment and some of the parts. there bolts,screws everywhere. on the right side of the engine there like a big round filter with a pole that attach to the top of it and it goes up to the outside of the bus. where like a vent there, that whole thing caught fire

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

OK at the beginning I thought you said it only starts on starting fluid and then dies when you stop the starting fluid>> when you crank it with out fluid does it start, is so then what? if it doesnt start with out fluid, does smoke come out of the exhaust when its cranking? the big round thing sounds like your air cleaner? it caught on fire from the inside.? or was the fire from a outside source?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no your right it only stays on if your spraying the started fluid on it, other then that it wont start. and yes it caught on fire from the inside( i guess that air cleaner thing). i had crossed over some train tracks and the fire department said the bus is so low it spark. they also said a fuel line had a slit in it. the fuel pump is all stuck they suggested that i get another one or rebuild that one.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Is it the turbo that caught on fire ? yea get me some pictures and and tell me witch part caught fire.. Is it still have a split in the fuel line? this thing either ran backwards and caught the air cleaner on fire.. (very rare on 3208) or it shot fuel on the exhaust or turbo.. if it did shoot fuel from a line, then the line has to be fixed..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes the turbo caught fire i think. i had the fuel fixed already. i had bought the bus from laidlaw. they had taken it out of service 1 week earlier because they were getting new buses. i had the bus checked and there was nothing wrong with it. the air cleaner(that look like a barrel) caught fire there and it shot straight up there was no other damage in the bus. how do i put picture on here to show you?

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

The air cleaner blew off ?? Does sound like it ran backwards.. hard to believe, being turbo charged.. I Dont know how to put pitures on from your side.. is there a little pix of a tree were you write to me?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no just this box for me to reply back to you. is there a email where i can email you the pictures as an attachment so you can open it and see the picture from there?

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

dont hit accept for that last answer I meant to mark it as a need info.. you can hit accept after we get to the bottom of this, and I give you a real answer..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok i havent hit it i just hit the reply only button

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Sorry i just dont want you to hit accept unless i give you a answer you needed..

Anyways, I guess you can do the pictures E mail if it allows it.. it will xxxx it out if I give you a e mail address..

Anyways, when you get to the bus tommorrow first make sure it has plenty of fuel, not just the gauge is up but it does have fuel in the tank. I want you to go to the engine and have some one turn on the key not start, just turn it on and I want you to listen for a click sound. at the top of the engine. and let me know and let me know if you heard it or not..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok i will. did that before and yes you hear the click in the engine and the buzzer right before you get ready to start it

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Have you cahnged the fuel filter/s and will you have compressed air avalable when you get to it? if you hear the click and you have changed the filter you will need to rmove the fuel line that comes from the tank and put about 5-10 psi of pressure to blow out the line.. after that we will need to prime it there is a manual pump on top of the fuel pump and a bleed screw, you will need to open the bleed screw and use the hand pump to pump til you see fuel then shut the bleed off. .. Im still realy interested in what parts they removed..Let me know..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok i will but we changed all the filters and did what you said above already. we blew the line out and everything. i will get back to you tomorrow after i take the pix. i will send you my email or something.

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Ok you did get fuel to the pump? with the hand pump, did you crack the injector lines after the pump while you cranked it? and se if the injector pump was pumping?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes and they worked
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

You had fuel pumping out of injector lines while it was cranking, and you closed them off and it doesnt start or smoke?.. did you try to put about 5-10 psi to the fuel tank to help push fuel to the pump?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim

I am gonna try to send you the video, let's see if it works i think its not uploaded yet. it should say april 25, 2009 bluebird_1.mpg i had put it under the catagory education

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

I havent seen any thing yet.. I will keep looking.. did you do all the things i said above?? and it does have good clean fuel in the tank?..if you did all those things and you have fuel pumping out of the injector lines and not even smoke.. the injector pump does need to be rebuilt..still want to know what they removed on it

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi Tim,

yes and it has clean fuel in it. this is the sheet the dealer gave me saying what i need

engine--

1.inframe overhaul on 3208 cat engine, nec to r & r 6 cylinder kits heads,rob bearing,main bearings,oil filters, rod & mains with cyl kits and head gasket, heads-exchange good core, inframe kit

2. pan gasket,ties,rolocs,gasket eliminators,oil filter,fuel filter and oil

3. 6 injectors r&r

4. head core

5. nozzles core

6. resleeve cyl

7. turbo including core

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

I will look at this and look for the video... but it sounds like you need at least a pump rebuild... If they are saying you need all this then they must of done some compression tests at least... even needing all this if it runs on either and not the injection pump even after you did all the things I mentioned to get fuel to the injectors... you will at least need a pump rebuild and possibly injectors.. its way past my bed time.. I will get back to you in the Am

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok thank you Tim talk to you later

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Gina.. I didnt get any video or pictures.. Like I said If you had done all the things that I suggested above. and you still cant get smoke or get to fire, except on either, then you are looking at at least a pump rebuild, possibly injectors..Hope this helps..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim

ok it's there live (the video) the first one they rejected because it was 14 mins long and you cant have a video over 10 mins. I would like for you to seen that one because I videod taped the engine compartment. ok so lets try the video again on youtube its dated april 25, 2009 or april 26, 2009. its about 2 1/2 minutes, please email me tomorrow

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

I wasnt able to get it to play.. it says video you have requested is not available....

is there a name I can find it on you tube??

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi tim

log in to:

youtube.com

it should come up shonta35 and go to my videos and it should be there or if not check the date april 25, 2009 or april 26, 2009

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I tried nothing comes up.. no results 13,000 plus results if I just punch in the dates
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim

Just got home from work. My friend say it and I did to on youtube. Can you try one more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aq7XbYSENM

the catagory its under is : education

the tags it under is: 002 april 25, 2009

the video is inside the bus parts. I hope this work cause my friend click the link above and it took him right to it. have a good night talk to u tomorrow

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hi Gina, Most of it is just intake piping, and of coarse the ALT none of it is needed 2 start except one peice, the round shinny metal thing with the spring and 2 wire terminals. that is the shut off solenoid. that should be mounted on the fuel pump, that is the thing I asked you earlier if it was clicking when you turn the key on. there must be one on the pump already, go ahead and change that part with the new one, should be right on top, should have started if it was missing but its possible if the old one is not pulling in all the way you are not getting enough fuel.. The Engine still should have smoked though if you had done all the primming procedure that you said was done..let me know

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim,

just got home. the solenoid was on there and they told me to get a new one, it was best. it was nothing wrong with it but they told me to buy one anyway. the last mechanic took it off after starting the bus. so is there like a manual to this bus? i will have the mechanic put the new one back on. now what about the rest of that stuff (piping) . i videod the engine compartment to, i just have to shorten the video do u want to see that one also? if so i will show you tomorrow or the next day. i really want to thank you for helping me.

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hello,, you are welcome.. if you are sure the other solenoid is ok, then I wouldnt worry about it, I dont think the video of the engine will help much, I wouldnt worry about the intake piping to much as long as your turbo intake is clear, get the engine started, then you will have to figure out how the pipes go, I would have no Idea with out being there. I can get you a manual # XXXXX the engine, but for the bus, I would just call the builder and ask them to fax or e mail a parts breakdown ( picture) and tell them to include part #s, because you may need to purchase something, or you could just make your own , Im guessing most of that looks like its from before the aircleaner. As I said before though if you did all the primming that I said, and its good fuel and you are not even getting smoke, your pump has had it, you are sure your turbo is getting air right?

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim

Please get me a manual for the bus, I will love that. I called dealers and asked them to fax me a copy of parts or a picture and they all said they didnt have the manuals or picture but just tow the bus in so they can see what need to be done. Far as the parts yes it all was from the air cleaner there. Im my way to work talk to you later.

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Gina as I said eirlier, I dont have a way or any information on the BUS, I can get you the Cat number for you to order a Manual or Parts book for the engine..A lot of body builders for trucks dont really keep manuals for the body peices, they may have to look at it to figure out how it all goes, its just plumbing 101 though to get fresh air from the back side of the bus down to the air cleaner on the engine, the air cleaner system is not CAT, I have no way of telling you how those part goes.. I can only help with the engine, and you are going to need a injection pump rebuild if all the other paths I have gone over with you are done..I will find the Cat # XXXXX the manuals..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok thanks jim, look forward for getting the cat # XXXXX the manual

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hi Gina, I was able to find you a service manual # XXXXX 0541 new they are 74.00

but I found yo a used one for 35.00 plus he said about 5.00 for shipping to LA.

Call Larry at Halton, used parts... dial 503.... then288.... then6411 ask for Larry in used parts or 50/50 ( had to write it like that because this web site blocks phone numbers.. ) .. the problem is the parts manual.. their are old ones out there but they dont make new one except application spacific through the truck or bus manufacturer. to witch you said they were not very help ful. I would just try to find one on Ebay.. under cat 3208 parts book, I will even look when I get a chance..

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim,

Just got home from work, thank you very much I will do that this weekend. Have a great weekend, talk to you later

gina

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Yea they are not open on Saturdays now because of the Economy..But Monday morning til 6 pm,,

Hope I was able to get you all the information, I could and you needed..

TIm

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Hi Gina,

Was this evrything you needed? just checking..

Tim

Tim, Foreman
Experience: 23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry