Tim, Foreman
Experience:  23 Years Heavy Equipment and Truck Repairs Shop and Field in the Minning and Construction Industry

special tool for adjusting the injectors on a cat c-15

Customer Question

how do you use the special tool for adjusting the injectors on a cat c-15
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX will try to help..this is for a mxs ser #.. iplease give me yours just to confirm.. its the same.. it should be..

here is the procedure..

Table 1
Required Tools
Part Number Part Name Quantity
9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge 1

Note: Determine the style of variable valve actuator that is installed on the engine. For the BXS engines, remove the variable valve actuators. For the MXS engines, it is not necessary to remove the variable valve actuators.

View Image

Illustration 1g01023138

Injector Mechanism

(1) Rocker arm

(2) Adjustment screw

(3) Locknut

(4) 9U-7227 Injector Height Gauge

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:

1. Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position for No. 1 Piston".
  1. Injector height gauge (4) is used in order to obtain a dimension of 78.0 ± 0.2 mm (3.07 ± 0.01 inch). The dimension is measured from the top of the unit injector to the machined ledge of the fuel injector body.
  1. Turn unit injector adjustment screw (2) clockwise until the correct height is obtained.
  1. Hold the adjustment screw in this position and tighten locknut (3) to a torque of 100 ± 10 N·m (74 ± 7 lb ft).
  1. To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. The direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise, as the engine is viewed from the flywheel end. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.
  1. Repeat Steps 3 through 4.
  1. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the valve mechanism cover.

here is the picture above just incase it didnt load..

hope this helps.. let me know..

Thank you,