northern mechanic
northern mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  8 plus years in paving equipment farm equipment and cranes and highway trucks
16957939

I have a 1984 ford L8000 dumptruck with a cat 3208 diesel.

I have a 1984 ford L8000 dumptruck with a cat 3208 diesel. It turns over and spudders but won't start.It will fire off with a shot of either and the filters were changed and primed. Any ideas where to begin to troubleshoot the problem?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  northern mechanic replied 7 years ago.

have u crack any injector lines to see if u got fuel there if not that would be a place also check ur kill cable or soliniod make sure its not half in. Next did this problem arrive after u serviced filter or u changed filter because u couldnt get it to start.

i look forward to hearing from u

thanks

ricky

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the truck turned over slow so i had batteries checked, 1 was bad so i bought 2 new ones and installed. tried to start the truck and it just turned over fast but didn't fire up.i started replacing fuel filters and primed them so they were full of fuel. still no start,tried a shot of either and it fired off and died. have not checked the injector lines,pretty rusty so i didn't want to twist one off. what should i test to see if the solinoid is stuck,is it the round cylinder with 1 wire on the top of the fuel injection lines on the top of the motor.
does ur truck have a cable inside cab to stop ingine or does it stop the engine when u turn key
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a key to shut down the engine.

ok yeah it should that round cylinder it should be conecteted to a lever when u turn key on you should see that solniod suck in or out if not then test for power also if it is moving it might be a good i dea to disconect it and push the lever all the way out just in case that soliniod isnt get full travel. yeah it might not be quite a good idea to crack injector lines if ur afraid of breaking something.

i hope this helps

thanks

ricky

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could the engine be flooded from me turning the engine over so much trying to start it and if so what can i do to fix that.
no i diseal engine will not flood like that my bets is its at the fuel shut off soliniod another question when was the last time u had it running
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
3 weeks ago, and it always started and ran great.

i would figure than that the fuel shut off soliniods not working thats were i would start then u might have to if thats working ok craking injector to see if u got fule

ricky

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

does it click or make noise when the key is turned on is that how i will know if it is working or not??

no but u should see it move in and out