John, Technician
Experience:  20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
14415333

WHAT IS A FAILSAFE WAY TO TIME A JOHN DEERE 4039D

WHAT IS A FAILSAFE WAY TO TIME A JOHN DEERE 4039D?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Hi

How far do you have it apart? Just for the injection pump? Whats up?

Thanks John
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

HI,

I NEED TO DO THE WHOLE TIMING. THE CAM IS OUT AS WELL AS T..HE INJECTION PUMP.THE ENGINE WAS HUNTING WITH A LOT OF WHITE SMOKE.

THANKS ,

SYTO

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
the timing marks on the inj.pump and the cam are set at an angle,and mounted to an idler gear. my proplem is to find a fail safe way to align those marks...
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Hi

Sorry I was gone this weekend

John Deere made a tool that was shaped like a Y with a long leg. the V part of the Y was placed on the crank and the long tail went directly over the center of the gear. Then you align the mark on the gear with the tail of the Y. This is done with the #1 piston at top dead center. I have done this many times with a string.

Get the #1piston on top dead center. ( If you have the head off it is easier. If you do not have the head off stick a long screwdriver down the Injector hole and feel top dead center with that.) Take a string and go directly across the center line of the crank and the cam, align the mark on the cam gear directly under the string WITH THE MARK ON THE CRANK SIDE. Use the string directly across the centerline of the crank and the #4 mark on the Injection pump. ( they use the same gear for 3 cly and 6 cyl). Make sure the mark is on the crank side of the gear . When both the cam and the inj pump are aligned, install the idler gear. because of the angle of the teeth you will have to slightly adjust the gears. when the idler gear is completely on check the marks to be sure they are centered. Now do the same thing with the balancer shafts. Use the string to go across the center line of the crank and the balancer aligning the mark on the balancer with the mark towards the crank.

Before you install the front cover rotate the engine 2 revolutions and recheck all the marks. they should be directly under the string and all on the crank side of the gears.

Thanks John

If this gets you going please click accept. If you need more info hit reply.