J.R.
J.R., Technician
Experience:  13 years as warranty technician for Detroit Diesel
13636126

Star: Detroit..coolant level..cap..level and drove 850 miles

Customer Question

Hi, We have a 2006 Western Star with a 60 series Detroit engine. Last week it shut down on us approx. 8 times the last time we were in a good location so left it off for 30 minutes checked the coolant level and it was at level in the site glass still removed cap and it needed 64oz of water brought it back to level and drove 850 miles home never shut down or was turned off again. This morning we were heading out went 4 miles and it shut down again. ANY IDEAS??????
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Here is the information on how to troubleshoot code 39. The problem sounds more like the egr valve or the vnt vanes in the turbo.

Flash Code 39 is used for several Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system or Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT) operational faults. These codes are typically logged in the ECM/ECU when one of the components are faulty.?

The SAE J1587 equivalent codes for Flash Code 39, EGR valve fault:?

s 146/2, EGR leak - Boost Power

s 146/12, EGR leak - Boost Jake

s 146/7, EGR Valve not responding

The SAE J1587 equivalent codes for Flash Code 39, VNT vane fault:?

s 147/2, VNT Vanes not responding - Boost Power

s 147/12, VNT Vanes not responding - Boost Jake or faulty Barometric Pressure Sensor

s 147/14, EGR flow too low

s 147/11, VNT Vanes at Max - Jake

s 147/7, VNT Vanes not responding - EGR

There are no wires to check for Flash Code 39. The sensor values and the ECM/ECU calibration are used to decide a mechanical fault is present.?

Troubleshooting Flash Code 39, SID 147/FMI 12

Engines built from February 2004 (S/N: 06R0761470) through the end of July 2004 (S/N:06R0788688) may have a defective Barometric Pressure Sensor.?

A faulty Barometric Pressure Sensor can cause this fault (SID 147/FMI 12). Refer to "43.2.1 Check Barometric Pressure Sensor" first to check the sensor.?

Section 43.2.1
Check Barometric Pressure Sensor

Check for a faulty Barometric Pressure Sensor as follows:?

Turn the ignition ON but leave the engine OFF.

Using Detroit Diesel Diagnostic Link (DDDL) or a Diagnostic Data Reader (DDR) compare Barometric Pressure to Air Inlet Pressure.

If the pressure differential is 4.1 kPa (0.6 psi) the sensor is not faulty and has not caused the code. Refer to "43.3.1 EGR Related Codes" .

If the differential is greater than 4.1 kPa (0.6 psi), replace the Barometric Pressure Sensor and check for codes. If there are no codes your troubleshooting is complete. If there are still codes, refer to "43.3.1 EGR Related Codes" .

If the pressure differential is less than 4.1 kPa (0.6 psi), contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

The following procedure will troubleshoot Flash Code 39. ?

Section 43.3.1
EGR Related Codes

For all EGR related codes, first refer to "20.18 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks for Series 60 Engines" , "Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks, "and perform the steps listed. Performing the basic checks will troubleshoot the components that could be responsible for logging these codes.?

If the basic checks all pass, and no fault can be found with the VNT/turbocharger or EGR valve, then it is recommended that the information you have collected be available to discuss with the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center(NNN) NNN-NNNN.?

Code s 146/7 - occurs if actual EGR rate during EGR mode operation is less than it should be. This fault will lock boost mode operation and illuminate the CEL/AWL for the remainder of the ignition cycle.

Code s 146/2 - occurs if actual EGR rate during Power Boost mode operation is greater than a calibrated value. This fault will illuminate the CEL/AWL for the duration of the fault being active.

Code s 146/12 - occurs if actual EGR rate during Boost Jake mode operation is greater than a calibrated value. This fault will illuminate the CEL/AWL for the duration of the fault being active.

Code s 147/7 - occurs if error in actual EGR rate vs desired EGR rate (Actual - Desired) during EGR mode operation. This FMI signifies excessive EGR flow. This fault will lock boost mode operation and illuminate the CEL/AWL for the remainder of the ignition cycle if the actual is greater than the desired.

Code s 147/2 - occurs if error in actual boost vs desired boost during Power Boost mode operation is greater than it should be. This fault will illuminate the CEL/AWL for the duration of the fault being active.

Code s 147/12 - occurs if error in actual boost vs desired boost during Jake Boost mode operation is greater than it should be. This fault will illuminate the CEL/AWL for the duration of the fault being active.

Code s 147/14 - occurs if error in actual EGR rate vs desired EGR rate (Desired - Actual) during EGR mode operation. This FMI signifies low EGR flow. This fault will illuminate the CEL/AWL for the duration of the fault being active.

Section 43.3.2
Verify Repairs

Perform the following steps to verify repairs:?

Reassemble the engine.

Start and run the engine.

Perform a road test.

Check for logged codes.

For Series 60 engines, refer to "20.18 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks for Series 60 Engines" or call Detroit Diesel Customer Service Center(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

If no codes are logged, repairs are complete.

J.R., Technician
Experience: 13 years as warranty technician for Detroit Diesel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi JR, Well we got the truck into the freighliner dealer nearby and it turns out that there are only four sensors that will completely shut down the truck and they happen to be temp for oil and water and level for oil and water. The dealer replaced two of the four and so far so good. We left this morning and haven't had any problems as of yet with the truck.... gone 600 miles so hope that fixed the problem. Thanks for you're time. Customerbr />
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Glad to hear your up and running. Let me know if you need anything else in the future and I will try to help you.