Cat Instructor
Cat Instructor, Technician / Instructor
Experience:  17yr.Caterpillar Tractor shop/field service tech. 17yr.Technical trainer. 34yr.Cat Experience

cat 3304 head torque sequence and torque lbs.

Customer Question

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX will try to help you

3304 VEHICULAR ENGINES SPECIFICATIONS TM    5-3805-263-14&P-2 CYLINDER HEAD Thickness of cylinder head (new) 3.938 ± .030 in. (100.03 ± 0.76 mm) NOTE: Dimension from top of closed valve to face of cylinder head must be according lo the specifications in VALVES. Put anti-seize compound on threads and tighten bolts in the Step se- quence that follows: Step 1. Tighten all bolts in number sequence to ............................    115 lb. ft. (155 N·m) Step 2. Again tighten all bolts in number sequence to 185 ± 13 lb. ft. (250 ± 17 N·m) . . . . . . . . . Step 3. Again tighten all bolls in number sequence to 185 ± 13 lb. ft. (250 ± 17 N·m) Step 4. Tighten all bolts in letter sequence (hand torque only) to 32 ± 5 lb. ft. (43 ± 7 N·m
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
Don, Mechanic
Experience: 35 years experience journeyman mechanic transport truck and trailer including off road equipment
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there thanks for the accept and feed back it wa a pleasure to assist you
you can contact me if you have any questions
have a great day
don
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don
Got engine together - am installing injectors - the pre combustion chambers were in head and I put in injectors (had them checked and were good) the a nut like thing (love that description) with a oring on it goes over injectors - my question is how tight are they? I'd guess there is some torge rating for them - so that is the question how much does one torge them too?
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there
all i ever did was lube the o-ring with white greas and put about 20 pounds on it
but i will try and find that out for you

my book is at work so i will have that information for you tomorrow
sorry
don
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will wait to install them till you get back to use on that - I hadn't thought about putting grease on the oring - you mentioned white grease which I think is like vaseline?
Getting the info today will work cause like you we quit last night about 7pm - got dark.
Expert:  Cat Instructor replied 5 years ago.
What Don has given you is great information. The Torque on the Injector retaining nut is 100ft. lb. Make sure the injector nozzle is hand tight to the adaptor body. Anti-Sieze is what I usually use on the threads for the retaining nut and is also fine for the seals, or even new engine oil is good. Torque on the fuel line nut is 45ft. lb. Just trying to help. Those 3304 engines are good tough engines and i want you to have a successful repair.
Cat Instructor, Technician / Instructor
Experience: 17yr.Caterpillar Tractor shop/field service tech. 17yr.Technical trainer. 34yr.Cat Experience
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
Hi thee i just got in from work and i see that a fellow expert has already answered your question
thankws for contacting me again if you have more questions
don
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are talking about the nut that holds the injector into the precombustion chamber ? this nut has a rubber type oring between it and the precombustion chamber then the fuel line nut also has a oring type seal which I can see that 45 ft. lbs would be right for it. I'm just making sure on the 100 ft. lbs. Will have her running today if I'm understanding you right on that one torgue.
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
yes the torque is right
don