Don
Don, Mechanic
Experience:  35 years experience journeyman mechanic transport truck and trailer including off road equipment

Hyster 50 forklift wont start cold. Starter motor is fine.

Hyster 50 forklift won't start cold. Starter motor is fine. Occasionally if will start, then runs fine all day for additional same-day starting, but the next day, it won't start again... temperature in about 45-50 F where it's stored. The air filter is clean, the fuel tank is full of propane. Help... it's driving me nuts!!!! Thanks.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX will try to help you
on the days it wont start cold how do you start it

does it start only when it warms up

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Don:

See the explanation of what we already tried. Whether it starts or not doesn't seem to depend on the temperature of the room it's stored in. Usually when we get it started, it seems to be luck and lots of cranking, then it finally starts.

Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi there

what it seams to me you will have to pit a new kit and diaphram in the evaporator

if it was cold you would see either condensation or the evap freezing

we had school buses that ran on propane and the most common cause was the evaporator and a crack in the diaphram

hope that helps you if you have more questions

please let me know
Don, Mechanic
Experience: 35 years experience journeyman mechanic transport truck and trailer including off road equipment
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Don:

Guess what? Your answer helped up get it going... After reading your response, my buddy held down the button in the center of the diaphram while simultaneously cranking, and it fired right up. Thanks a million dude... you save us an expensive service call.

KF

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Don:

Guess what? Your answer helped up get it going... After reading your response, my buddy held down the button in the center of the diaphram while simultaneously cranking, and it fired right up. Thanks a million dude... you save us an expensive service call. You should have received payment by now.

Take care,

KF

Expert:  Don replied 5 years ago.
hi therre and thanks for the accept and feedback

it was my pleasure to hlp you and if you have any more questions please look me up don