Bobcatech
Bobcatech, Technician
Experience:  Repairing Bobcats and other Compact Equipment since 1990, now Independent Mobile Service Technician.
15424970

I have a 1999 4300 John Deere w/sync-shift(shuttle). It suddenly

Customer Question

I have a 1999 4300 John Deere w/sync-shift(shuttle). It suddenly developed a noise in any forward gear that sounds a little like a throwout bearing. If you keep going it will start to bog down as if under a heavy pull. Does not do any of this in reverse. It pulls and drives fine in reverse.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Bobcatech replied 5 years ago.

Hi Ed-

I'm studying the on-line parts breakdowns here and jogging memory to try and get a feel for what has happened.

I suspect, since you've already eliminated a linkage adjustment problem, and due to the suddenness of the problem, that there is a problem with the internals of the clutch housing. Some folks call this the "reverser," and think that if the machine operates in reverse, that it eliminates any problems with that. But on this model, that unit controls both forward and reverse.

On the Syc-shift, there are two side-by-side counter-rotating shafts with clutches, power transmission is shared by matching and intermeshed helical gears. The selector selects which clutch to engage.

I'm suspecting , due to the noise you describe, that the machine has lost a shaft bearing, and it is side-loading the the forward shaft when driven forward, which causes the machine to bog down. The noise is the shaft, bearing, and helical gears spinning out-of-true.

You can drain the oil and look for metal particles, larger pieces would probably confirm that you lost a bearing or had a clutch come-apart. You can remove the filter and cut it open and also look for metal particles, these will be smaller. Sometimes with a bearing failure, it can cause major damage to the shafts and gears inside.

I don't know if this is something you want to try and repair yourself, but if so, get back and either I or someone who is more familiar with this specific model can help you through the process if you need such.

I can also provide you with a link to the on-line parts diagrams if you need it, they can help you in determining how it works, what could be wrong, and if this is something you want to take on yourself.

Bobcatech, Technician
Experience: Repairing Bobcats and other Compact Equipment since 1990, now Independent Mobile Service Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would very much like the diagram that you are referring to for my own observation. If you could forward me the link. You are right it is not something I want to tackle.

Thanks for your help!

Ed

Expert:  Bobcatech replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the accept, Ed!

Here's the link to the search page, I can't link directly to the page you need because of the nuances of the website:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

In the search field, type in 4300, then follow the indeces through pictorial index to drive for the SST, then "clutch and clutch housing"(or similar words, lol). It takes a little getting used to to navigate.

The pictures are hard to see through your monitor, but if you print them out they are great.

You can select image only or image and parts list on the print utility.

Again, thanks! Let me know if you need anything else!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bobcatech

Thank you very much for your very correct answer. John Deere dealer now has my tractor pulled down(broke). It was the forward shaft bearing on the transmission end(rear). It was disenagrated and balls had dropped down. Bearing plate also worn where bearing had turned in the housing. Hoping they will help me out as it didnot have a netural on the shuttle since I bought it. Have only used it about 32 hrs. It's a toy for me.

Thanks again

Ed Clark

Expert:  Bobcatech replied 5 years ago.

Your very welcome, Ed, and thank you.

I'm glad we got it figured out and hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to get it back to working again!