daves71
daves71, Fleet Manager
Experience:  35+years working on heavy equipment and heavy duty trucks

1997 International 4700 with a DT466E...Oil light..restart..run fine

Customer Question

1997 International 4700 with a DT466E. Will be driving vehicle and Water/Oil light will begin to flash, after about 20 seconds the vehile will shut off. Vehicle will restart and light will be off and run fine until light begins to flash again.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
Hi BaddDude,I would check the coolant level sensor first and see if its corroded and causing the problem.If that checks good I would proceed to the oil pressure sensor and check to see if its partially plugged with debris. Let me know what you find and we will go from there. Thanks, Dave
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked the coolant temp sensor. When I unplugged it the "Warn Engine" light came on. When I plugged it back in and recycled the ignition the light went out. I have not been able to find the sensor for the oil pressure. I have checked near the oil filter for the sensor, but as of yet I have not found it. Can you give me any other ideas to where I should look? When ever I unplug a sensor I check to see if the gauges are still operating and what lights are still on So far none of the sensors I have unplugged have turned on the "Water/Oil" light. Thanks, Bob
Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
We are looking for the low coolant level sender mounted in the radiator near the top on the engine side.In looking further this model uses this light for diagnostic trouble codes also.Will give more info shortly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no sensor in the radiator. The only sensor I found was in the reservoir. I throughly checked the radiator, front, back, top, bottom and both sides. So you think it is more the coolant sensor that is tripping the light rather than the oil sensor. Which I still have not found. I appreciate the information that you have given me so far.
Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob, lets start from scratch.Is the coolant level in the overflow(yes level sensor is here) above the add mark.I can not find the oil pressure switch location in any of the 3 books I have.Lets try to get a read out on the diagnostics.Depress and hold the ENGINE DIAGNOSTICS button on the dash,turn the key to the ON position,the oil/water light will flash 1 time,then the WARN Engine light will begin to flash.All codes are 3 digits(warn light will flash, example a 122 is 1 flash,pause 2 flashes,pause, 2 flashes)Try this and see what we come up with. Thanks, Dave
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the sensor is in the reservoir and the water level is above the sensor. When I checked for codes it came up with a combination of the oil/water light and warn light. So I am going hyphenate the codes with the first number being from the oil/water light and the number after the hyphen will be from the warn light. I verified the codes three times. 1-111, 2-211, 1-124, 1-115, 1-222, 1-145, 1-221, 1-223, 1-633, 1-622, 1-323, 1-233 it ended with the oil/water light flashing 3 times. I hope this helps. Thanks, Bob
Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
Ok,here are the results.--code111 no faults(ok, at this time we have no faults)211--engine oil pressure sensor fault. 124---Injection control pressure low(probobly when the engine shut down)115---engine coolant temp Hi, 222--brake switch fault?, 145--Cam position sensor, no signal? , 221--speed control command switch fault(also when the engine shut down)633&622--vehicle personality module fault? 323--coolant level below threshold, 233--tach input signal fault. Bob, it seems to me we have a short/open somewhere in the underhood wiring or a computer that has a problem.Before heading to the dealer,unhook the battery ground cables for an hour and let the computer reset.Then take another trip and see if the problem comes back.Then check your codes and see what comes up.Check your wiring under the hood and see if you see any signs of chafing or damage. Let me know and we will go from there, Thanks, Dave
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the vehicle came in I unplugged sensors to see what would trip the oil/water light. So I know some of these are false codes. When I went out to unhook the ground, I found that there are 3 batteries hooked in parallel. All of the positives were connected. On the negative side the first to batteries were connected by the ground cable. The ground cable between 2 and 3 were not connected, but the cable that goes to the frame from battery 3 was connected to the frame. so, the system was only operating on 1 battery. I also found that the ground cable between battery 1 and 2 had a body ground connected to it. When I reconnected the batteries I hooked everything up. Before I started the truck I checked and all the codes were still there. Is there some other way to clear the codes. Is this the OBDII system like they have in cars? I have a scanner that will let me access the OBDII system and clear it. If it does have the OBDII where would the ALDL be located. Thanks Bob.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dave, are you available today? Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I got a new temp sensor from the dealer and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again.