John, Technician
Experience:  20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
14415333

Bobcat: 2000 model..controls the tilt and lift function

Customer Question

i have a bobcat skidsteer model 873, it is a year 2000 model, after i start it i cannot get it to move,there are 4 lights on theleft control panel that are supposed to come on and the only one that does not come on controls the tilt and lift function
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ed

So when you pull the seat bar down that light comes on, then you push the press to operate button and they all light up except the lift/tilt. When the lift/tilt is not lit it also locks the brake.

There is either wiring messed up or the valve is bad.most of the time it is messed up wiring
Usually it gets wore through in the section of wires between the valve and where the wires go up the back.Also around the valve itself where the solenoids are. So flip the cab and check the wiring for worn spots. When you 1st look at it see where the wires are touching something or close to something and feel and look at the wires there. Where there is a plug in try to pull it apart gently, it should not come apart without lifting the catch that is on one half. I have found more than one where it was not quite plugged in, and so not making good contact.

Thanks John

If this gets you going please click accept. If you need more help fire back.
John, Technician
Experience: 20 years in a John Deere; Ag,Ind,forestry and Bobcat dealership,12 in my own shop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am finally getting the chance to look at my machine. I lifted up the cab and the first thing I found was a mouse nest. The wires near the nest appear to be ok. I do not have a shop manual and I am not very familiar with the workings of this machine, however, if you explain things in detail I should be able to figure it out. How do I know what the solenoid looks like and how do I know which wires to trace from the light in the cab to the solenoid and/or solenoid connector?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ed

If there was a mouse nest there almost for certain the mouse chewed on some wires. I do not have a wiring diagram for that year, but like I said run your fingers around each wire. You do not have to worry much about where they run into the plastic casing. Focus on where you can see bare wires.The solenoid is on the hydraulic control valve mounted on the right side of the machine, black with 2 wires. There is a controller over on the other side with 2 or 3 connectors on it. Check all the wires that are in these areas that are not enclosed in the black casing.

You can have the key on with the seat bar down while you are doing this. ( engine off) Then sometimes when you wiggle the wires you will get it to work, so you can focus on what you just wiggled.

Let me know what you find Thanks John