Bigmart
Bigmart, Service Manager
Experience:  35 Years working on Class 8 Trucks and Construction Equipment
13618727

A 2004 Series 60 Detroit 14 liter EGR engine that we..cam..smooth

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Series 60 Detroit 14 liter EGR engine that we've done a cam replacement. The engine is not running as smooth as we'd like. We've been unable to locate the engine manual that shows the proper alignment. Any ideas?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Bigmart replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to JA

Was the engine running better before the Cam replacement or is this a new problem?

Thanks

Bigmart

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this was a new problem
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This was a new problem after replacement. Is there a manual that shows the engine blowup?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I inadvertantly accepted your response, then realized that you had only asked for additional information. Can you answer the question?
Expert:  Bigmart replied 8 years ago.

Not to worry, you dont have anything on that engine that needs to be timmed other than the cam. Below is a photo of what the timming marks look like. Crank the engine arond until you can see the timming mark on the idler gear. If you pull #1 injector you can put a long screwdriver in the hole and know when number 1 is comming up. At this point you should be able to see the SRS sensor in through the hole (photo below).

Piston at TDC, idler gear mark at the Cam gear, and SRS sensor pin visible, you should be good to align the cam gear mark.

I will be here to help you more if you need it.

Thanks

Bigmart

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I gues the only confusing part is that there's no diagram which shows the cam gear pressed on and the front cover split. The cam is removed with the top halp of the front cover. This leaves no visual for aligning the marks. We were able to lock the crank with a pin and determine that the cam was installed (one) tooth off. Thanks for your input.