J.R.
J.R., Technician
Experience:  13 years as warranty technician for Detroit Diesel
13636126
Heavy Equipment

A diesel particulet filter and regeneration system..tractors

who makes something to eliminate... Show More
who makes something to eliminate a diesel particulet filter and regeneration system in new semi tractors
Category: Heavy Equipment
J.R., Technician
replied 7 years ago.
I do not know of anyone that makes anything. The new systems are federal mandated and regulated by the EPA. I do not know what the penalties would be for an owner operator or repair shop that disabled or removed one. I know that in my small engine shop I can be fined $25.000 for leaving off a limiter cap on a carb. I am sure the fines for an over the road tractor that has been tampered with would be a lot more severe. If you are an owner operator I would definitely find out what kid of penalties you would be faced with since doing it may cost you your entire career. To the original question, I am sure there is no one making a legal modification that will allow the tractor to meet the standards or the engine manufacturers would have already did it. I know this is why Detroit Diesel released the DD15 and are discontinuing the S60 which has been one of the best over the road engines for the last decade or so. It is all because of the wonderful EPA.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
if you can't answer don't try to i don't need to know the f**kin law, your a tipical f**k headb trying to steal my money
J.R., Technician replied 7 years ago.
I will disregard your ignorance. The $45.00 does not make or break me either way. I will gladly opt out and see if someone else will tell you how to illegily modify your truck so at some point you risk losing everything.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
lmao please do opt out cause i'm looking for the answer i asked i don't care about epa when peoples lives are at stake my feeling is theres no price on a persons life and as far as epa laws are i'm out of business if i don't find a way around it so theres nothing to lose
Dustin, Mechanic
replied 7 years ago.
Sir
The only thing i can tell you to do since this is still a new system is to get a fuel filter housing off a older motor and put on there its really easy to do. I havent dealt with the system much myself if you need help with anything on the install ask away ill be glad to help. Ive done a little research and I keep coming up blank on this. Part of the problem with this system is it was designed for high sulfur fuel and we no longer have that. Let me know if this was any help to you.
KevinB, Technician
replied 7 years ago.
I really don't know what that was about but there is not anyone offering a DPF delete yet due to the fact that there is practically no demand, not saying nobudy wants to do it every one who has one is not happy with it but the greenies won. We have a service truck with DPF and are having the same issues that you are having, the guy running the truck has just had to get into of doing the forced reburn before he gets to a job to prevent it from happening while he is working or throwing codes. The issue is you will have to find a way to defeat the software of the computer and fool it into thinking the DPF is there. One option you could possibly persue is seeing if international offers the engine in an offroad version that is classified offroad then your model year would not require a DPF and they would have a software package for the computer. There are companies that offer DPF delete kits for pickups I'm sure you have found them if you have done reseach on trying to eleminate yours you may contact one of them and see if they could help?
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

tell your truck driver to pull over put it in neutral and hold the thottle to the floor thats the only chance to burn the dpf completely clean in cold wheather doing regens in cold wheather just makes the soot in the filter wet its hot enough at that point to burn the diesel making the regen cycle worse when ever we get snow there between 35-50 new trucks at the local truck shop

KevinB, Technician replied 7 years ago.
When he first got the truck our issue was he was not yet fimiliar with the the POS and it shut down on him on a job because it wanted to reburn and it was below zero and the engine could not get warm enough a winter front is a requirement for a truck with a DPF where we live it retains enough heat to do the reburn. Do you have a winter front on your truck?
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
i have cardboard completely covering the radiator the cardboard touches the fins and cores and sometimes i need to surround the truck with tarps if the wind picks up to much you know how those nights get
KevinB, Technician replied 7 years ago.
<p>Have you spoke with international about possibly having offroad programming for your engine since you are sationary so often off road maybe you have some merit to your case of the DPF not being practical in your application? </p>
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
international doesn't care i think i'm going to just have to find an older truck but that defeats the purpose of buying new
KevinB, Technician replied 7 years ago.
I hate to not be of much help but I think your answer of a slightly older truck is the best for your application till the technology catches up with the the vocational applications. You should slap the salesman that helped spec the truck because they where all well aware of the issues the engines would have in our particulair applications of extended idle time. Thanks for your question you don't have to accept the answers for this question your deposit will remain with just answers till you need help again.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
CumminsApart, Cummins Technician
replied 7 years ago.
Hi There,

Have you had any talks with a company called DCL? They appear to have a product that may help your situation? Here is a few facts about their products ....

Diesel Particulate Filter (Flow-Through)

Features
     •     Custom designed for each vehicle model to directly replace the OEM muffler
     •     DCL’s flow-through particulate filters are internationally recognized and provide self-regeneration of particulates under normal light duty cycles.
     •     Can be configured to exactly the same dimensions as the original vehicle muffler

Applications
Typically used in Buses, Taxis and Trucks.

There is more info on their website at http://www.dcl-inc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=67

They use flow-through diesel particulate filters instead of the common wall-flow particulate filters that require constant regeneration. It is ideal for retrofit on diesel engines where wall-flow particulate filters are unsuitable, including light duty cycle. I am not sure how it will be possible to overcome the ECM settings, but have heard some ECM's have a regeneration delete feature. DCL may be able to assist with this side of things.

Hope this helps you find a solutions.
Good luck

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
this still doesn't eliminate the dfp system
Bigmart, Service Manager
replied 7 years ago.

To be able to elinate the DPF system you need to fabricate a tube to replace the DPF and then you need a computer programmer to write a program to upload into the ECM so it will think the DPF is in place. There are several sensors in the system that will have to be bypased which includes the differential presure system. This is not that difficult to do as we have talked about what would be needed, but where the problem lies is finding someone that is not afraid to take the risk of haveing to pay over $50,000 in fines and time in jail if it is detected. By the way, the fines can be assessed to the person doing the work and the owner of the truck.

The only other possibility is depending on what engine you have, it may be possible to find an engine with 04 emisions and pull the electronics, including the ECM, and fuel system from it. It is a lot of work, and it can be expensive. You would be basically turning back the time on your powerplant.

Bigmart

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
thats the same answer everybody gives me i'm not triing to be legal i just want to who make the dpf delete kits for semi tractors if don't know who makes these please don't waste my time i will not accept anyanswer that do not pertain to what i ask
CumminsApart, Cummins Technician replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

You are looking for a solution .... correct? A solution that eliminates having to run your equipment through an exhaust system regeneration process while on site?

I have supplied you a possible solution that does not involve jail time, selling you new equipment, loosing your business or wasting loads of money on silly ideas.

This product is the best available, and has been in use here for a lot of years on underground mining equipment where air quality is life threatening . It's ability to do the job is unquestionable.

Might be time to forget about being a hero, look at the solution, get it worked out and fitted so you can get back to making money?

Good Luck

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

look you never answered my question

i had direct question and I'm looking for a very short answer if you don't know answer to the direct form of my question i will not except any answer in the form of politics its not what i am asking so please stop wasting my time

J.R., Technician replied 7 years ago.

Bach 1977,

Your question has been open for over a month and you have not accepted from any of us. Several of us have tried explaining to you that what you want does not exist. I am going to ask the mods to close this question. See the attached link and you can contact them. I am sure they will design one just for you if you want to spend enough money.

http://www.dpfdeletekits.com/

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

look you talk allot of circles anything underground does not pertain to me the problem is it does not burn hot enough to burn clean there for anything to do with with underground mining does not have anything to do with my question unless you know the answer please don't respond cause somebody might have the answer i'm looking for

J.R., Technician replied 7 years ago.
At what point will you understand. Nothing has been developed to do this yet for your truck. The question has been open for over 3 months. Keep trying. I am sure by 2020 this question may be off of here.
InterTech, Technician
replied 7 years ago.

The answer you`re looking for doesnt exist because you CAN`T bypass the dfp system.. If you don`t want one buy yourself a 2006/2007 truck/engine. End of the line. Thanx

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
then quit responding so someelse can
J.R., Technician replied 7 years ago.
The question is open for all experts to answer. You are looking for a product that does not exist and very likely never will. Sell the truck and buy something that will work for your application because the emission standards are just going to get harder in 2010. As bad as we all dislike the DPFs and having to clean them they are surely here to stay.