truck engine tech
truck engine tech, Mechanic
Experience:  8 years of experience, certified in 4 brands of engines, done about all there is to do on a truck.
14307696

Looking for a SERVICE manual for a Cat 247B/257B. Will pay

Customer Question

Looking for a SERVICE manual for a Cat 247B/257B. Will pay for legitimate information leading to a reasonably priced original or a copy. Should be intact and complete. Thanks
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan Boy replied 8 years ago.

hello buy the place

Caterpillar no longer prints service manuals for any of their machines. Because of the cost of updating paper manuals. Each service technician has access to a system that cat calls sis (service information system) if you have your serial# XXXXX your machine and go to your local cat dealer as an owner you can get limited access to information on your skidsteer for a yearly subscription fee.what is it you are looking for right now and i can look it up for you.

Dan B.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No problem right now ..thankfully. Just want to study and keep for the future. I know that the printed volumes are indeed available, at the dealer for +$500. and at other places on the web for +$300. I'm looking for an alternative to that. Going to the dealer everytime I need to study something isn't an option.
Thanks
Expert:  truck engine tech replied 8 years ago.
You could contact your local cat dealer and get a login id for cat's service informaton system. It's free, but you can only look up info for the machines you own.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Contacted the local dealer after reading your advice. They are clueless about what you advise. Said that I needed to open an account with them. I didn't go any further to determine if that would allow me access as your advise. Will continue to try however. If it works out, I'll gladly hit the accept button. Right now, I'm no further along to getting access to the service manual than I was when I posted the question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What Cat dealer do you deal with? My local dealer you can register right on there website. Let me know your dealer and I'll look into it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Louisiana Machinery in Reserve,LA. They were completely clueless. One clueless guy shouting questions to another clueless lady, both of whom had no idea what I was talking about. I would gladly go elsewhere to get registered but I don't know where else to do. Any help would be appreciated and rewarded.
Go to www.zieglercat.com in the top right corner it will have a drop down menu, under it will say register. click that link, fillout theinfo and request your applications. about a day or two later they will email you saying your account is active.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Both Ziegler Cat and my local Cat dealer replied by sending me a 3 page credit application to establish an account with them in order to access the SIS. A 3 PAGE CREDIT APPLICATION in order to see my service manual!! NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!! The technical manager told me that I was far better off with the service manual than the SIS. So my question remains, does anyone know where I can put my hands on a reasonably priced service manual for a CAT 247/257 skid steer?

Thanks
Expert:  Don replied 8 years ago.
hi there is this what you are looking for
don
Search Results
Attention! Multiple manuals exist for that Model. Enter your serial number for the correct serivce manual.
Service Manual Details for Model 247B
Title     Inventory #           Price     
247B and 257B MULTI TERRAIN LOADERS - Service Manual      2182     Click for Larger Picture and More Details      $821.19      
247B - Parts Book *Please provide serial number during checkout.      2182X     Example Manual      $99.99      
247B - Operation and Maintenance Manual *Please provide serial number during checkout.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, that's the manual that ServiceProManuals has listed on their website. That one is $821. The same manual can be bought directly from Caterpillar for $530, both completely outrageous!! That's the business that I need to get into.

Thanks
Expert:  Don replied 8 years ago.
sorry was trying to help and thats what i found so far
but will keep looking
how much were you looking to pay?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No problem. Thanks for the help.
Here is the link for online service information through Caterpillar.<br /><a href="http://www.zieglercat.com/default.cfm?PID=1.5.11" target="_blank" class="text-15-blue">http://www.zieglercat.com/default.cfm?PID=1.5.11</a>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. At this point, I'm looking for the manual. I'm told that if necessary, until I find one, if I encounter a problem, I'm welcome to go to the CAT dealer and view the SIS. Until I find a manual, that's what I'll do.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays.