Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  Cummins, CAT, and International
13216935

torque..rocker assembly on a ism cummins and for the injectors

Customer Question

What is the torque/sequence for the rocker assembly on a ISM Cummins and for the injectors
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

The rocker lever assemblies must be installed in the engine so they are in the same position as they were removed from.

Install the assemblies on the engine.

NOTE: Hand-tighten the mounting capscrews. The rocker lever side clearance must be adjusted before the capscrews are tightened to their final torque value.

Rocker Lever Installation Side Clearance

mm

in

0.50

NOM

0.020

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 5 rocker lever support toward the front of the engine.

Tighten the mounting capscrews to 5 N•m [44 in-lb].

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 in] feeler gauge between the number 5 support and the intake lever for the number 4 cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 6 support toward the front of the engine.

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 in] feeler gauge between the number 6 support and the exhaust lever for the number 5 cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 7 support toward the front of the engine.

Install a 0.5 mm [0.020 in] feeler gauge between the number 7 support and the intake lever for the number 6 cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 8 support toward the front of the engine.

Tighten the number 5, 6, 7, and 8 support capscrews to their final torque value.

Torque Value:

n.m 122

ft-lb ] [90

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 4 support toward the rear of the engine.

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 in] feeler gauge between the number 4 support and the intake lever for the number 3 cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 3 support toward the rear of the engine.

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 in] feeler gauge between the number 3 support and the exhaust lever for the number 2 cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 2 support toward the rear of the engine.

Install a 0.50 mm [0.020 in] feeler gauge between the number 2 support and the intake lever for the number 1 cylinder.

Push or use a hammer to tap the number 1 support toward the rear of the engine.

Tighten the number 1, 2, 3, and 4 support capscrews to their final torque value.

Torque Value:

n.m 122

ft-lb ] [90

Check the front and rear assemblies for the correct clearance. Check the support capscrews for the correct torque value

Install the valve crossheads.

NOTE: The crossheads must be installed in the same location from which they were removed.

Engines Equipped with Engine Brakes:

Install the six engine brake crossheads on the exhaust valves. Verify the actuator pins are facing the camshaft side of the engine.

Verify the crossheads are fully seated on the valve stems.

INJECTORS

Place the injector in the cylinder head injector bore with the injector solenoid valve toward the intake port. Align the injector equally between the valve springs.

Install the injector hold-down clamp capscrew.

Torque Value:

n.m 75

ft-lb ] [55

Connect the injector wires. Make sure the wires are connected to the same cylinder they were removed from

Injector Lash

Install the dial indicator and the support from injector travel measurement kit so the extension for the dial indicator is on top of the injector rocker lever, directly over the socket on the cylinder being checked.

Securely tighten the thumbscrew (1) and hold down the capscrews (2 and 3).

All adjusting screws must be tight to get an accurate measurement

The tip of the dial indicator extension must rest on the rocker lever directly above the socket. If it does not, incorrect readings can result.

Loosen the thumb screw (3) , and lower the indicator against the injector rocker lever until the stem is fully compressed

Raise the indicator approximately 12.7 mm [0.5 in] and tighten the thumb screw (3) to hold the indicator in position

Actuate the injector plunger three or four times to make sure the fuel has been removed from the injector assembly. Allow the lever to return slowly to prevent damage to the dial indicator.

Actuate the lever again; set the dial indicator at zero while holding the injector plunger to the bottom of its travel.

Slowly release the actuator, and check the dial indicator travel. Record the measured value. If the injector setting is not within the specification listed below, the injector must be adjusted. See the adjust step listed in this procedure.

ISM, M11 Series Injector Lash Recheck Limits

0.51 mm

minimum

0.020 in

2.04 mm

maximum

0.080 in