Diesel Service
Diesel Service, Technician
Experience:  25 years experience, on highway tractor trailer

Any idea on series 60 detroit wont start unless use either

Customer Question

Any idea on series 60 detroit won't start unless use either then fine throws too many SRS code. Checked fuel filters ecm connections and the sensors.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1999 Freightliner classic 500hp Detroit

Already Tried:
Checked fuel filters fuel lines ecm connections sensors SRS TRS fuses ignition switch
Expert:  Diesel Service replied 7 years ago.
Hey outlaw, is it only a hard start on the first start of the day or every start?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is hard most of the time lately, but it sometimes fire instantleymy 20mins after you shut it off r 3-4 hours later It mite start rite up are mite be like starting all over again.On occassion it would throw SRS code 41 but shut it off restart it would be fine and not store code. It still not storing code but if not start hit override and it will flash 41 after you get it started shows no active code 25 Run like new. I think i'm going to go get a SRS, TRS for the truck in a bit see what happens.

outlaw, can you tell me if you have the fuel shut off levers on the drivers side under door?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I took those off 2or3 years ago been in that boat before other tank split four hydralic fluid. I certified mechanicdiesel myself Just don't have access to pro link computer and this one acts alot different than most i've seen.

ok outlaw, I live in a rural area and don't have high speed at home and for what ever reason the land line is painfuly slow right know, anyway if you show a code the ecm will log it, chances are the sensors are going if you've already ruled out the fuel system, you should still check the wires at the ecm, but where the wire loom starts, I 've seen lots of failures caused be the loom cutting insulation and exposing the copper, also I have seen codes set when using starting fluid, a better alternitive to either is WD-40, but you have to remove pipe at intake manifold to spray it into engine- works great and won't dry out cylinders-good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did check the ecm connections seem to be ok
Well, if you've ruled out the fuel system and wiring, then replacing the sensors is the next logical step, the sensors are pulse generators, if the engine is turning over slow and the sensor can't generate the proper amount for the ecm to reconize, then it won't start, but when you speed up the revs of the the engine while cranking using either then in may generate enough current to triger ecm- sounds like a plan to me!