Mister Mike
Mister Mike, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  36 Years Diesel Experience, ASE Master Technician, Electronics Engineer
11118649

my ryobi electric log splitter ram has not been retracting

Customer Question

my ryobi electric log splitter ram has not been retracting properly started by the hydraulic lever sticking now it as stopped retracting but very slowly
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Mister Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hello Got Tools, I have run into this exact same problem with my gas powered wood splitter. The hydraulic valve is plugged with debris. I would disassemble the valve body and the lever spool valve. You can clean the ports out with a spray cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. Reassemble in the reverse order (make sure you watch out for the little pieces when you remove the lever). You may have to add some hydraulic oil to the reservoir when you are finished. Thanks for accepting my answer. Mister Mike
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply,i did find the poblem while followng your instructions to disasemble the vale body,i drained all the fluid out and used compressed air to try and remove any debis,but that was not the problem.

I took the nut off in the valve body that houses the return spring and discoved it had some coils of spring pushed into each other ,so i stetched the coils back out and reversed the sping and put in back in & it now is working fine.

Thanks again for the advise,i also took it to a repair shop for Ryobi & they could't find the problem,gave it back to me & said it was working fine after charging me $33.00.

Great you go it working, you will need that sucker this winter. Glad I could help. Positive feedback helps me with other customers. Thanks again, Mike