Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel, ASE ,Master Heavy Truck Technichian
Experience:  25 YEARS OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS

Allegro Bus with a cummins 8.3...time the stop engine light comes on

Customer Question

I have a Allegro Bus with a cummins 8.3. From time to time the stop engine light comes on. It is very quick and goes right out. What triggers this light?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Rudolph Diesel replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Welcome to JA!

Here is what will trigger the light.

low coolant

low oil

high coolant temp

high oil temp

low oil presser

id go threw check the fluid levels

if there is good oil presser and fluids are full

then

Most of the time its a faulty low coolant level switch

i would go threw and unplug then plug in the sensors and switches

Let me know if i can help more!

Hart

Experience: 25 YEARS OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The answer I recived is not right and I need to ask again and add some more info.

Ok

How can i help you.

Hart

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I made sure all fluids were full, and bypassed the coolant level switch. The alarm continues to go off. I obsereved this weeked that it sounds when excelerating whe climbing a hill or hard excelleration from a dead stop. The alarm goes of when letting off of the throttle. I wonder about fuel pressure problem?
Give me 10 minn ill see if the fuel system will trigger the buzzer

Hi there is nothing on the fuel system to tiger a warning buzzer

is there a sensor on the oil pan?

Hart

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not know, but the Stop Engine alarm reacts to the throttle and a sensor on the oil pan would not react that quickly. I wonder about air flow to the intake, maybe dirty air filter?

The only thing other then my original posting on the trigger of the alarm would be the TPS throttle possion sensor, But there showing a hard code with the buzzer and light,

Could very well be a intermittent problom so it wont hold a code.

Hart

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the light and buzzer come on.

My wording was wrong on that sorry

yes on the buzzer and light but a check engine light would stay on even with the buzzer off, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but if its a intermittently problom like the brass contact on the TPS then i don't think it will hold a code, I would check that.

Hart

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont think it can be an intermittent problem as it always stops when I get off the throttle.

If it were a hard code for the tps it would have a check engine light on all the time.

and have a code showing 33-145,

A soft code is when it don't last long enough to store in the ecm example is a bad spot on the brass on the ecm so at a certain time during throttle presser it will flash a check engine light and buzz, when you move the peddle it changes the voltage on the tps so all you get is a quick flash of a code,

Hart

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok Thank you

Let me know if your still having problems!

Hart