JaydenD
JaydenD, Mechanic
Experience:  Wyotech graduate. Working for Wyoming Machinery Company. EPA 608, 609 Refrigeration certification.

torque specs for c-12 cat rod & mains

torque specs for c-12 cat rod & mains
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  JaydenD replied 5 years ago.
  1. With the number one crankshaft throw at the bottom center, install the piston and connecting rod in the engine. Ensure that the proper piston and connecting rod are in the corresponding cylinder with the bearing retainer notch toward the right side of the engine.

Note: The word "FRONT" may be stamped on the crown of the pistons in some engines. Ensure that the word "FRONT" is toward the front of the engine when the piston is installed. The etched number on the connecting rod must be on the right side of the engine in the corresponding cylinder.

Illustration 1g01064123
  1. Line up the piston and connecting rod (3) with the crankshaft. Use a soft hammer and tap the piston into the cylinder bore until Tooling (A) comes off of the piston.
  1. Before the connecting rod comes in contact with the crankshaft, install the upper half of connecting rod bearing (4) . Ensure that the bearing tab engages with the slot in the connecting rod.
  1. Apply clean engine oil on the surface of the upper half of connecting rod bearing (4) . Use a soft hammer in order to tap the piston into the cylinder bore while you guide the connecting rod onto the crankshaft.

Illustration 2g01064122
  1. Place the lower half of the connecting rod bearing in corresponding connecting rod cap (2) . Ensure that the bearing tab engages with the groove in connecting rod cap (2) .
  1. Apply clean engine oil on the surface of the lower half of the connecting rod bearing. Install connecting rod cap (2) on the connecting rod. Ensure that the number on connecting rod cap (2) matches the number on the connecting rod. Ensure that the numbers are on the same side.
  1. Install connecting rod cap bolts (1) . Tighten the bolts to a torque of 130 ± 7 N·m (95 ± 5 lb ft).
  1. Place an index mark on each bolt head. Tighten each bolt for an additional 60 ± 5 degrees (1/6 turn).
  1. Repeat Steps 1 through 10 for the remaining pistons and connecting rods.

Illustration 2g01022767

• Install crankshaft main bearing caps (2) with the part numbers toward the right hand side of the cylinder block. Ensure that crankshaft main bearing caps (2) have numbers 1 through 7. The numbers should start at the front of the engine. Place clean engine oil or Molylube on the bolt threads and the washers. Install bolts (1) . Tighten the bolts to a torque of 95 ± 5 N·m (70 ± 4 lb ft).
    1. Place an index mark on each bolt head. Turn the bolts for an additional 90 ± 5 degrees (1/4 turn).
    JaydenD, Mechanic
    Experience: Wyotech graduate. Working for Wyoming Machinery Company. EPA 608, 609 Refrigeration certification.