Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel, ASE ,Master Heavy Truck Technichian
Experience:  25 YEARS OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS
3087803

Caterpillar c12 has coolant in engine oil..possible causes

Caterpillar c12 has coolant in engine oil. What are the possible causes?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Rudolph Diesel replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Welcome to JA!

Here is a breakdown of what repair history is on 2003 c-12

Broken head bolt

cracked head gasket

cracked head

injector cups

prosody pitting on the cylinder sleeves

cracked o rings on the cylinder sleeves

cracked o ring on the spacer plate

cracked spacer plate

watter pump fount seal

oil cooler

These are all repairs we have seen here at this shop,

you can have one or more of the above problom

Let me know if i cab help more!

Hart

Experience: 25 YEARS OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you give me a diagnostic procedure, such as do I remove engine oil pan and pressure test cooling system to check for leaking cylinder o-ring seal and so on.

Great question!

Here is what works for me

we have antifreeze in the oil so

we should go ahead and put

mains / rods/ thrust plate/ oil pump in

so what i do is

pull everything to the injectors on top

when you pull the insecters lay teem out in order

they will tell you if there us antifreeze passing by them by the color of the tips

if you have one that is all carbine up real bad thats the one to look at

be careful with the injectors the core is 300 bucks if that look damaged cat will charge you!

now pull the pan

and install your presser tester

pump it up to 15 psi let it sit

if we hear a leak but cant find it

a in less cost alternative to costly smoke checkers and dye kits is green food dye and watter,

safer then antifreeze and wont break the bank to test.

i would for the 20 bucks in gaskets and o rings pull the oil cooler presser test that off( after you test the system)

Thank you!!

Hart