Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

cummins 8.3ISC in 99 peterbilt..solenoids..injector pump..fuel system

Customer Question

Cummins 8.3ISC in 99 Peterbilt , battery exploded and now it won't run. New wiring harness and esc and solenoids on injector pump, checked overhead and fuel system for air leaks still nothing. No codes. Been in shop for a month, please help.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Rudolph Diesel replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to JA!
Do you have a Cummings or pacar software so we can do some testing?

what lead up to the batterys exploding?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Cummins Software as I understand it from the mechanic for the engine. Then Peterbilt software for the Cab and Chassis. I do not know why the battery exploded. We have installed a new ECM from Cummins,

If you have the scan tool for the engine lets do a system test to see what is or is not working.

if we don't have the tool to do this, lets see where we have power to

i would start at the run relay and go out we need to see where the power stops at.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow and find out about the scan tool, i do know that he has a laptop that will interface with the truck and that has diagnostic software in it, I will get back to you after talking to the mechanic on 9-3-08. thanks

Sounds good

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK , I talked to mechanic today and confirmed that he does have the diagnostic tools for this engine application, he insists that no fault codes are shown since a new ecm was installed, however he has taken the injector pump apart and found a cracked check valve in the pump, new pump is ordered and should be here tomorrow about noon from Cummins. We'll see if that does the trick, if not then back to square one, do you have more thoughts. P.S. the engine is the 215 h.p.

That would have been the next step if we don't have a electronic problom then we need to look at the mechanical end .

i would also check and see that none of the broken check valve went into the engine, this would be past the fuel filter and little to stop any extra parts.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I'll let you know tomorrow, the pump should be here after lunch and maybe it will run before dark.

Sounds great!

Ill be on and off here threw out the day