Rudolph Diesel
Rudolph Diesel, ASE ,Master Heavy Truck Technichian
Experience:  25 YEARS OF HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIRS
3087803

century: cummin diesel engine..freightliner..needle drops from 60 psi

What causes an erratic oil pressure gauge reading in a cummin diesel engine for a freightliner century class S/T truck? The needle drops from 60 psi to 0 psi for 10 to 15 seconds then returns to normal.

Hello

Welcome to JA!

Is this a electric or mechanical gage?

any other lights or anything come on?

any recent work on the engine?

Thanks

Hart

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It’s a mechanical gage.

No other lights or anything else comes on. Although, once I did notice the truck’s temperature gage, which is also mechanical, dropped from 200 °F to 0 °F at the time the oil pressure gauge was behaving erratically. But normally only the oil pressure gauge display erratic readings. Nothings else appear wrong with the truck. It runs just fine.

I just purchase this tractor for use as a road truck, unsure of any recent work on the engine.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It’s a mechanical gage.

Great

Thank you for the information!

I would go get a after market gage from Napa or someplace and plum this in place of your factory gage, to see if there is a gage problom or if there is

a problom with your pickup tube on the oil pump.

I think your having a gage problom.

If there was a sudden change in oil presser you would have a check engine light and a shut down warning.

I have seen temp gage problems on your truck.

and reading threw some repair history on the 98 to 2000 fl there is history of replacing oil gages too.

You can contact a FL dealer and have them run your vin for any TSB s or updates. they might be able to pull a repair history too.

Let me know if i can help more!

Hart