Matthias, Technician
Experience:  10+ Yrs experience in Heavy Duty / Automotive / John Deere,New Holland and Case IH, Cummins and Cat

I recently purchased a small dozer (30 HP). After the first ...

I recently purchased a small dozer (30 HP). After the first 30hrs the right final drive went out , the dealer took it back and in 3 days had it repaired and back to me with no explaination of what had caused the failure. At 62hrs the same problem occured and after considerable discussion I was told that I cannot make a turn at full throttle (braking one track with full power on the other ) while pushing or pulling a heavy load. Also I was told that 3 out of 10 times while operating on a side slope I am likely to lose a track. If this is the nature of the crawler I can live with it but someone should have informed me ahead of time. Dealer is currently repairing final drive the second time but is considerably slower at getting it fixed, I hope they are fixing it right this time. I like this machine if I could keep it working any advice you have would be appreciated.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Matthias replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

what brand & model is it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a Tytan (Chinese) crawler dozer Model YCT306S-6. This same dozer is sold by Northern Tool and is called Nor-Trac.
Expert:  Matthias replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

Yes with these 'light duty' machines and even with a Cat it is not recommended to turn very sharp under a heavy load. they are designed to push or pull in a straight line.

When you turn sharp under load, all the power from the engine goes intoXXXXX Not to be rude, but I am sure the quality of these chinese final drives is not as good as the US made units.

and the brakes have to work very hard to keep the other track from turning.

About side hill driving, the tracks are rubber, and they can for sure come off on a side hill.

And I do agree, the dealer should have told you about the limitations of the loader.

I hope I answered your question

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Matthias's Post: The model number I gave you indicates it has steel tracks and also that it is a dozer. Your information parallels some of the information I have gotten from the dealer and I am not very satified that you are that knowledgeable about my particular equipment
Expert:  Matthias replied 8 years ago.

But like any tracked Loader or dozer, turning while under full power will dramaticly shorten the life of the drivetrain. This is not specific to a brand

I have worked on many tracked loaders / dozers. 95% of these repairs involved either the brakes or final drives.

Its up to you to accept my answer but if you are not satisfied with my knowledge, don't accept

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Matthias's Post: Matt not trying to offend you.. However I have became very frustrated dealing with the wheeler dealer dealer I bought the tractor from and scrutinize any answer. What would you recommend to lenthen the time between repairs on final drive. Throttle back while pushing a heavy load and turning or backing up and coming at the load straight on
Expert:  Matthias replied 8 years ago.

No problem, no offence

I would, and the dealer should have told you, only push heavy in a straight line. I am sure you can push heavy under full power. If you want to change direction back up and reposition the dozer. To lenghten the life of the final drives and the drive line in general. Replace the cheap chinese lubricants with high quality US made oils. The dealer should have done this already

But some good synthetic EP oils for the final drives is a good idea