Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

My dr just informed me that my apl level is slightly

Customer Question

hello. my dr just informed me that my apl level is slightly elevated how serious is this
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: I don't really have anything wrong. sometimes my muscle seems sore
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: i had my yearly blood work last week and protime and the office called me with this.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been going ti her for yrs. she knows me pretty well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your test results. Just to confirm are you talking about your ALP level? If so, do you know the actual value? Lastly, what is your age and gender?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

I believe your doctor may have been referring to the ALP level, which stands for the alkaline phosphatase level in the body. this is an enzyme which is produced by the liver and can also be released by the bones in the body. Now mild elevations in the enzyme can be due to a number of things. Usually mild elevations can be due to a problem in the liver or the bones. In most cases the elevation can be due to a simple gallstone which can be stuck in teh bilde ducts causing accumulation of the ALP in the body. This can be diagnosed with the help of a simple abdominal ultrasound. Another cause of this could be narrowing of the bile ducts which again can be diagnosed on a simple ultrasound of the abdomen.

Another cause of the elevation would be due to the bones. If you are above the age of 50, then it is possible that the bones are weakening and the ALP is being released by them. Any disease of the bone such as osteoporosis even can cause the mild elevations in the ALP level. It can also be due to a condition known as hyperparathyroidism in which the parathyroid glands release an increased amount of PTH and that leads to the bones being weakened and thus the release of ALP.

So in short, basically elevations in the ALP can be due to a number of things HOWEVER the most important thing here is know what is the actual number of ALP. Very mild elevations can be considered as normal in many cases and in those cases only a repeat test is required, usually further testing is done when the ALP elevations are 3-4 times the upper limit of normal.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/