Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I am having some discomfort in my chest with cough. I am a

I am having some discomfort in my chest with cough. I am a 57 year old female. I thought it was something that was caught in my throat but I think it is more than than. What can it be?
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: No I've had a couple of days where I felt that I had something stuck in my throat but now it feels lower in my throat and it is also causing me to cough.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a diabetic and take medication for high cholesterol as well as high blood pressure.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have pain or burning sensation in upper abdomen above navel?

Any pain or burning sensation in center of chest-down the throat?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just pain in my lower throat I think. I think it's right under my breast bone in the middle. When I swallow there is some discomfort and I've been coughing as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't want to call thanks!

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of discomfort in chest along with feeling of something struck in throat is most likley due to a condition called as globus sensation.That is persistent or intermittent sensation of feeling of lump or foreign body or something else stuck in throat.

Its most common causes are:gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter,stress,psychological or psychiatric disorders.

The most probable & most common cause of this is Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),

You need upper endoscopy.Barium swallow test may be required.

To get relief ,take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment & doctor visit is less likely required.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much.

Dear customer

Thank you for the words of appreciation & for using just answer website.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I appreciate your help. Your answer makes me feel much better. I will do what you said and if it gets worse see a doctor. Again thank you for listening and responding.

Dear customer

Thank you so much.

Happy new year 2017.

God bless you

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh