Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Thanks! I have been having a throbbing sensation in the

Customer Question

HI thanks! I have been having a throbbing sensation in the middle of my forehead for weeksnow
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: It is annoying but not painful. Last two days it's taking away my attention from my work. I took Paracetamol but it isn't going. No I have not yet seen a doctor
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It is just a throbbing like there is a heart bag in the middle of my forehead. It's about two weeks now. Nothing makes it better or worse.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have hypothyroidism since 2007 on thyroid Meds and I have chronic idiopathic urticaria also since 2007 on antihistamines and Doxepin. This headache has never happened before 2 weeks ago. I am a dentist in private practice and 53 years old.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Two things need to be ruled out for your two weeks headache;

1) Sinusitis

2) Giant cell arteritis.

Having said that, as a dentist you are prone to abnormal postures which can cause tension headache.

Following are the suggested treatment for chronic tension headache;

1) Acupuncture

2) Mild massage

3) Correct posture of neck during working.

4) Relaxation technique like meditation.

5) Stretching exercises

6) Occipital blocks

7) Electrical stimulation

8) Therapeutic ultrasound

9) Hot/cold packs

10) Medications;

Dihydroergotamine

Reglan

Phenargan

Codeine

Oxycodone

Butalbital

Aspirin

Tylenol.

Most headaches are caused by following:

Tension-type headache

Migraine headache

Chronic daily headache

Cluster headache

Chronic daily headache is not a type of headache but frequent headaches of various kinds. Most people with chronic daily headache have migraine or tension-type headache as the underlying type of headache. Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this would be the first to be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache also. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Migraine headaches are the second most common type of primary headache. Cluster headaches are a rare type primary headache.

There are other causes of headache also;

1) sinus headache.

2) Medication overuse headache

3) Post trauma headache; occur after injury or accident.

4) Secondary headache; brain tumor.

Usually a doctor's examination is sufficient to ascertain the cause of headache. But occasionally x-ray of the sinus and CT scan or MRI of the brain may be needed, especially if the headache is persisting for long is worsening and is accompanied by symptoms like vomiting, vision disturbances and imbalance. After the tension headaches commonest headache are migraine. Aura and vision disturbances are absent, many times in migraine.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.