A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What can I do to help a 38 yr.old with severe shingles that

Customer Question

What can I do to help a 38 yr.old with severe shingles that are oozing and cover half his stomach and back.now he is throwing up with migraine.What do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

There isn't really a lot you can do at home for this. He needs to see his doctor ASAP for medication. An antiviral will lessen the duration and severity of the outbreak, but he needs to get it right away. It also lessens the possibility of post-herpetic neuralgia, a nerve pain that can go on for months after someone has shingles.

You do need to keep the area covered and have him avoid being around young children and anyone with a compromised immune system. The fluid from the blisters can cause chickenpox.