A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have been to my regular doctor and to my eye doctor for my

Customer Question

I have been to my regular doctor and to my eye doctor for my issue. My eyes are watery all the time. Initially I was told it was allergy related and given pataday, that did not work. So I went to my eye doctor who suggested it was dry eye. He had me use the hot rag therapy twice a day and while that felt good. It did not work. So onto probability 3, eye strain since I am at a computer all day. I have 20/20 vision, but due to age I use readers. He suggest bifocals. $600 later, and they made no difference. I am desparate for some relief. By the end of the day, they are sore from the constant moisture and itchy and my eyes are bloodshot as if I have cried all day.
JA: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: No injury and 20/20 vision
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had lasik 10 yrs ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

There are basically two overall reasons for watery eyes: too much tear production and problems with tear removal.

Too much tear production can be from allergies, eyestrain, overuse, smoke, irritation of any sort.

Problems with tear removal include blockage of tear ducts or a malformation of the tear duct, or a problem with the eyelid overhanging and causing problems with the tear removal pump.

I would suggest you see your eye doctor again. If you are anywhere from 50 onward, you may have slight eyelid problems (I did). Even a small sag can complicate things. A simple outpatient surgery tightened up the upper eyelid and I haven't had trouble for the past 10 years. Insurance paid for it since it was affecting eyesight. That it made me look a few years younger was a bonus.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I think I will go to a different eye doctor.

It never hurts to have a second opinion. I would definitely pick an ophthalmologist (a medical doctor) rather than an optometrist though, if that isn't the type of provider you saw before.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good suggestion, I will do that.

Good luck and happy new year!