A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have an MRI report I need help understanding. Yes. I got

Customer Question

I have an MRI report I need help understanding.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. I got the MRI report back today. Just curious as to what it means. None
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Health
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Need dr not counselor
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Hi, Amber,

A spinal disc resembles a jelly doughnut. It provides a cushioning between the verterbae. A herniation occurs when some of the "jelly" pushes out through the outside of the "doughnut." Often this causes no symptoms at all, although sometimes it can push on a nerve and cause pain. The disc between L5 and S1 is herniated, but it isn't pressing against anything and should be causing no symptoms.

The disc one higher up the spine at L4-L5 also shows herniation with a tear in the outside covering of the "doughnut" as well as protrusion of the "jelly" contents. This one does contact the nerve root which may cause low back pain. There is also some narrowing of the space between L4 and L5.

Please let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What does it mean about the epidural fat?Can you explain to me what it is saying about the L5-S1? Seems like a lot of wording.So do I have two herniated discs?

Yes, you have 2 herniated discs, one between L4 and L5 and the other between L5 and S1.

Epidural fat is a normal component of the epidural space. The dura is the outermost covering of the spinal cord. Epidural means outside the dura.

The L4-L5 wording just says that it also shows herniation with a tear in the outside covering of the "doughnut" as well as protrusion of the "jelly" contents. This one does contact the nerve root which may cause low back pain. There is also some narrowing of the space between L4 and L5. The distance is pretty much set by the time someone reaches between 21 and 25. These spaces between the discs can narrow somewhat as someone ages (spinal stenosis). That may not cause any problem at all, or it may cause pain or even numbness if the nerves are compressed because of the narrowing. The report does not see any compression, so that isn't what is causing the low back pain.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great thank you! So overall it isn't to bad
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What's standard procedure to correct these things?

Conservative treatment is physical therapy and perhaps a steroid injection. Surgery is a last resort.