Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

Hiya, I fell last night and I banged my right arm on a

Customer Question

Hiya, I fell last night and I banged my right arm on a cuboard door when I fell. The top of my right arm went black straight away, with swelling and purple and red spots occurring. I've had a headache all last night and all today and I feel numbness in my arm from the shoulder right down to my funny bone. What should I do? It's still abit swollen today and it swelled more when I had a bath earlier
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Daily. I've felt abit sick but it's because I have gastritis aswell and I'm on medication for that at the minute
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just stomach problems in my family. I'm coeliac aswell and I'm on medication for my fep
Category: Health
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Do you have a picture of where the bruising and swelling is? Are you able to move the arm normally? Any numbness or tingling or other problems?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah I do have a picture of it. My top half of the arm is quite numb and I have a serve headache at the back of my head
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you think?

Is the bruise where you hit it directly? Did you hit your head?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah the bruise is where I hit directly and I did not bang my head

I know it is sore when you push on it, but is the pain in the arm severe enough and when you push it can you feel that the bone feels ok? If it feels ok the bruising will take about 2 weeks to go away and you may want to take ibuprofen or aleve over the counter and use some cold compresses on it for relief in the mean time. It loks like you hit it pretty hard but it does not appear to be broken.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It hurts when I touch it and I feel something moving in it when I touch it. I've put cold cloths d everything on it just to try and ease the pain. The pain is shooting pain

You probably have a lump we call hematoma underneath the skin that you can feel and that is due to bleeding in the muscle from the injury. This will go away as well as your body reabsorbs it. I have had a similar thing on my thigh and it took about 3 weeks to fully go away :(

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything I can do for it. I can see a huge red line going through my bruise which is weird looking

You can apply ice through a wash cloth for 20 minutes at the time 34 times per day, also antiinflammatory/pain medications such as ibuprofen or aleve, and also a little compression with an ace bandage may help. You may want to get Arnica cream over the counter, it works well on bruising. Hope it feels better soon!

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/