Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

My little girl is saying her vagina is hurting and

Customer Question

My little girl is saying her vagina is hurting and burning.she is is four years old.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. From what you are describing it sounds like that she may have developed a yeast infection of the vagina. This is common in young girls upto the age of 3-4. This would cause burning and pain in the region. While you may associate vaginal infections with sexual activity, young girls who have not yet reached puberty are especially susceptible to vulvovaginitis for reasons that have nothing to do with sex. Because your daughter doesn't yet have pubic hair or fatty labia for protection, clothing, chemicals, soaps, and medications can easily irritate the delicate skin of her vulva. Your growing daughter has no estrogen to defend her vaginal tract, and the pH of her vagina is high, creating a fertile environment for bacteria to grow. Now the diagnosis here can be made easily by a simple clinical examination and if needed urine tests and urine cultures along with a vaginal swab. The treatment is with simple topical medications and if needed by oral medications as well. My suggestion is that you should have her evaluated by her doctor and get her started on the required medicines.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is in slot of pain.is there anything you can prescribe her.indont suspect any sexual abuse

There need not be sexual abuse for an infection to occur as i explained above, most infections occur without ANY sexual activity of any sort. It is simply due to teh anatomy of the genital tract in young girls. As far as prescriptions are concerned, unfortunately we cant prescribe anything online as that would be illegal, prescriptions can only be given once a doctor patient relationship is established which can only be done by an inoffice visit. So you can give her OTC motrin for the pain or even OTC tylenol but you do have to take her to see your doctor for antibiotics.

Do you have any more questions?