Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

Just seems odd that with a UTI I would have a sharp pain

Customer Question

Just seems odd that with a UTI I would have a sharp pain sudden in in my waist that right after it all my pain feels better.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: the sudden pain just came and went. But the pain over the kidney area has been for several weeks and wrapped around to the groin. Lab result said UTI.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there are a couple of reasons for this sort of pain. The first one is that your ureters (the tubes which carry urine from the kidney to bladder) contracted all of the sudden leading to the pain and then relaxed. This can occur in infections and is referred to as ureteric colic. This is a known phenomenon and usually needs no treatment apart from treating the infection. Another cause is that you could also have small kidney stones inside the urinary tract. Passage of these small stones from the kidney down into the bladder can cause this sort of pain to occur which is sharp, short and stabbing in nature. This would occur in many patients and it is possible that you developed the infection because of the small stones. Many small stones are passed via the urine without you ever noticing them as they are very small in nature. This would be picked up on an abdominal ultrasound or a CT scan of the abdomen.

I think given that you have been having this pain frequently, it would be wise to get an ultrasound done and even a CT scan to rule out kidney stones .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 19 days ago.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating