A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I had been roofing today and when I got home I pulled a nail

Customer Question

Hello. I had been roofing today and when I got home I pulled a nail out of my shoe. Due to a back injury I have limited sensation in my legs. My sock and insert of my shoe was soaked in blood. I have sense cleaned the wound. Question: It has been a while since my last tetnes shot,
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. My biggest fear is I lost my left leg due to a staph infection in the ankle. I have three screws in my right ankle.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Yes, you do need a tetanus shot. You don't need to go to the ER tonight, but should should get it tomorrow. Generally we recommend tetanus boosters every 10 years, but in the case of a puncture wound, five is more reasonable. It won't hurt to have another one, even if it's been only 2 or 3 years.

Please let me know if you need additional information.